SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-05, 01:29 PM   #11
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

To be honest, Iwish I had a good solution for you. However, in creating the mod we have really opened up a whole new world in terms of what we can see in DW, I think anyway. I myself am extemely inexperienced in both mission design and practical tactics. My expertise in DW is strictly related to DB modelling at this point.

As such, a lot of heuristics were employed in figuring the "playability" aspects of the mod. The realism part was a process: Amizaur had realworld data and he and I worked to model it into the DB. Adjusting the bits of that for gaming was a matter of trial and error that is very much still going on.

We ARE confident about the sound levels. This has been fit from the best real-world data available. However, what I am not confident about are the settings on the passive sonars. Some may need to go up and some may need to go down in sensitivity; I personally have been very fortunate in the past day or so to run into an ABSOLUTE GURU of SC/DW modelling who is not necessarily part of our family here at subsim, and he has told me much about how the sound engine actually works.

However, to incorporate the information he has given me is going to take sometime and the effects on gameplay will be subtle, but important, especially for the things you are talking about. Specifically, increasing sensor performance on a curve for decreasing range NOT related to increase in relative noise level at the sensor surface.

So, I'm saying, in more simple terms, we are in the very middle of a work in progress and I'm neither an expert in RL or in DW. So we have to ask those who work on missions for the mod to consider themselves part of the process of exploring the real capabilities of the DW engine.

Amizaur and I (at least I know for myself) can primarily only mod because of real life time restrictions. This leaves direct testing the mod at position number 2, and play-testing of the mod at position number 3. Experimenting with mission design is whole separate issue that because of time and knowledge I know I can't fully explore. But together, mission designers and modders, we can work this out so everyone can spend hours and hours diving in the very near future, in the Alesian ASW killing-fields that DW could be.

I personally thank you for your support and efforts in this direction!

Cheers,
David