SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-09, 02:22 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

1 TB WD External Hard drive and backup questions

Yay, these things are amazing. I ran out of space on my two internal drives (75GB and 114GB), so I picked up a 500GB Hitachi external drive last summer. Man, didn't take long to load it up with home movies I need to finish that project, then I can wipe it clean again.

Meanwhile, I started getting odd error messages that made me suspect my main hard drive could be failing (it is six years old and runs 24/7). What to do? Well, I picked a WD 1TB My Book. It uses USB 2, it's silent, and I should be able to completely back up both my internal drives.

Question: The Hitachi came with ArcSoft backup (I never used it) and the WD has a trial version of Memeo. So, any suggestions on back up software? Is it worth getting the full version of Memeo? Should I just use ArcSoft for both drives (is it any good)? Why not just drag all the files from C: to a folder in the 1TB drive? Do backup solutuons compress? What do you use?

thanks!
Neal