Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-09, 12:23 PM   #1
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Default Winter War LeLv24 AAR

30/11/1939 07:00

Blasted Russkies! Now they've done it! We just received news that our dear eastern neighbour has launched full scale bombing operations against us!

Forward observers at Kivennapa saw two big bomber formations headed for NW, possibly to the airfield at Suulajärvi.

Orders to take off and intercept.

I flew as the #4 on our flight of 4 Brewsters ready to take on anything the russians could throw us. Wouldnt mind some helping hand tho, if the information is correct, we are facing 20+ bombers.. that is, if we can find them.

We climbed to 4000 meters and headed for Suulajärvi.

At roughly 07:12, #2 spotted the big formation, flying west on our 2 O'clock high at around 4700 meters. We immediately paired up and started to climb to get above them. The size of the bombers made it hard to keep track of the distance between us, causing us to be only 150 meters higher than them when we reached them.

We started to receive fire from the gunners, positioned on top of the fuselage of the bomber (now identified as SB-2). Change of plan, I rolled over and dived under and dropped behind the 2nd formation, away from their gunners. I chose my target, the leftmost bomber. Gently pulling up, I carefully lined up just so that the gunner couldnt reach me and fired all my guns to the bombers right engine, which caught on fire after 1-2sec of constant fire. Bomber started to lose height rapidly and went to a deep dive. (07:14, claimed as kill)

I quickly rolled and headed back down, below the bomber stream. I picked my next target, the rightmost of the 2nd formation. Same plan as before, came from under it and aimed at the engine. The first burst hit the right engine, which spat thick black smoke before stopping completely. The second burst struck the bomber to the fuselage, either I hit the pilot or control cables as the bomber rolled to it's back and spiraled down. (07:15, claimed as kill)

At the time of my second kill, we were joined by a flight of Fiats. The russians started to show some desperation as they tried to dogfight with their SB2s, losing the little speed they had in process. One such fool was my third target. In my 11oc, I saw a SB2 firing and trying to follow an Fiat that just downed a bomber in front of it. I was on climb at the time, but as the bomber maneuvered, it lost it's speed advantage allowing me to catch up on it quickly. I struck it as it was banking to left, peppering the both wings and fuselage. Something broke off from the tail section and the plane went to a steep dive. (07:16, claimed as kill)

On my left, only ~200m away was another SB2, quick bank and climb to lose speed and get behind it. As usual, attacked from below & behind, struck both it's wings, visible fuel leaks but no signs of critical damage. I was out of ammo, time to head home.

Later, I heard the total numbers of the attack. 15 enemy planes downed with one own Fiat lost. Also heard I was recommended for the Cross of Freedom 2nd class.

Last edited by Dowly; 01-05-09 at 02:11 PM.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote