SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-02-09, 09:23 PM   #1
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Dragon Age.. Origins.. !!

Due out tommorow...

Any thoughts on this title?

20 gig footprint

I got some houscleaning to do.

(woops sorry dident see the other DA thead)
Old 11-03-09, 02:59 AM   #2
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Tell me if it's good especially if it's real good. I don't want to miss anything spectacular from Bioware though so far the videos and screens don't impress me.
Old 11-03-09, 08:41 AM   #3
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

It's real good.

First review I saw; nothing but positive comments, except 1) buggy 2) low framerate. Keep in mind though it's the PS3 version, not surprised to hear about glitchy audio and low framerate.

Dragon Age: Origins Review: Tripping The Blight Fantastic
Quote:
Hated

Bugs Aplenty: My time with the PlayStation 3 version of Dragon Age was not without troubles. In fact, my 60 or so hours in the game were plagued with annoying little glitches that, while not breaking the game completely, did hamper the experience. Some special combat animations were way off, with my character performing finishing blows in the air next to the boss I had just downed. Sound glitched frequently, leaving me watching a character's lips move while no words came. On a few occasions the screen would glitch when a character was speaking, showing broken geometry instead of the person talking. I also had issues with monsters dying and taking up to 30 seconds to register as dead, making me have to wait to loot bodies and in some cases delaying the completion of certain quests.

Perhaps the biggest bug I encountered was during the final battle, when I simply could not progress. BioWare suggested it was due to a monster I needed to kill falling through the world. I wound up having to load a previous save in order to complete the game. Luckily the game had autosaved just before the battle started, but it was definitely more frustration than I needed.

Chugga Chugga Frame Rate: Dragon Age is a pretty game, but when it really starts moving, things get ugly. With only a couple of characters on the screen things aren't too bad, leaning towards the high 20's frame rate-wise, but when you're in a big battle or a crowd scene, things dip into the middle to high teens. Mind you I am guestimating here...it's not like I have some magical PS3 FPS tool, but the dip is definitely noticeable
Have to wait 'till the 6th, but expect some impressions after that.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 01:58 PM   #4
Ilpalazzo
Frogman

Downloads: 20

I've never even heard of this game, but it's all up in my face on steam. Couldn't help but notice this, ""Dragon Age is the RPG of the decade." - PC Gamer UK (94/100)"

Really? 'THE' of the 'DECADE'? Of all rpg games released this decade, this is THE one? Weird, this game must be awesome.

Seems to be on sale on steam. If anybody gets it, please let us know why it is THE RPG of the DECADE.
Ilpalazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 02:08 PM   #5
Arclight
Navy Seal

Because it is awesome.

Name 1 developer who could produce a better, original RPG? Only one I know is Bethesda.

But yeah, let's ignore the marketing speak and let's just say it's gonna be very good, possibly one of the best.

Old 11-03-09, 07:13 PM   #6
Castout
Silent Hunter

Bioware is the reason! They've produced arts such as Knights of the Old repblic and Mass effect.

Though the screenshots don't impress me in Dragon age: origins I'm willing to pick it up it the gameplay is worth it.

I'll see to try to get some PC reviews.

What I can't miss is their The Old Republic.
Old 11-04-09, 03:20 PM   #7
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
It's real good.

First review I saw; nothing but positive comments, except 1) buggy 2) low framerate. Keep in mind though it's the PS3 version, not surprised to hear about glitchy audio and low framerate.

Dragon Age: Origins Review: Tripping The Blight Fantastic

Have to wait 'till the 6th, but expect some impressions after that.
If the Ps3 version wasn't on par with the other 2 versions they should of just delayed it like they originally were planning.
Old 11-04-09, 03:57 PM   #8
Ilpalazzo
Frogman

Downloads: 20

Quote:
Proper maintenance is an integral part of running a gaming rig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Like I said, my PC's a mess and everything runs as they did when I got the rig (forgot to mention and thanks for pointing it, I NEVER uninstall previous drivers, I just install on top of them ). But then again, maybe I'm just lucky when it comes to my PC as I have never ever broke anything from any of my PCs either.
I agree with both of you. Knowing how the computer is doing and correcting any deficit (can't believe I can't think of a better word) is not necessary, but it doesn't hurt either. It either does nothing or improves performance. You can just run a benchmark when you get all yo **** together. Every so many months, run that same benchmark and you can easily see if your performance has been affected.

Then again, you can get away with a lot before anything actually becomes a problem for you. And with a newer computer, I'd be surprised if lax maintenance affected your performance noticeably anyway. The only thing Dowly might have to worry about is degraded performance and load times if his drive gets fragmented to hell. And maybe one day he will get a crappy driver related problem that might require uninstalling a driver. Either way it's a one time fix that lasts a long time. Sure there are other things to consider, but I don't want to drag this on.

For some, their maintenance routines are a necessary preventative measure (and hell they enjoy it). For others, its just something to do when things seem like they aren't working properly. Sometimes, it really is just the game's fault. Fault for not being more compatible or just being a buggy pos.

I want Dowly to defrag his computer...

Quote:
At any rate, my game unlocks in 5 hours, I'll swallow those words if it happens to me too.
Looking forward to first and later impressions if you'd care to share them.
Ilpalazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 04:37 PM   #9
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

The tinnies and booze are the only things keeping the circuits together...
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 11:14 AM   #10
papa_smurf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

Just received an update from Amazon - Dispatched today! woo

Should be playing by the weekend. All previous plans for the weekend are now on hold.

papa_smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 02:46 PM   #11
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

I just picked it up yesterday for PC. I've had 4-5 hours of playtime last night with no glitches or crashes. Choppy framerates on a dual core AMD and a pair of nvidia 8800s, but not to the point of being unplayable.

The story is decent so far. Typical fantasy "swords and magic with a great evil force threatening the world" fare, but well done so far. Voice acting seems good.

Solid and serviceable graphics but nothing eye-popping - however I am running it with medium texture quality and no AA. If you liked NWN and Baldur's Gate, you'll dig this.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 06:05 PM   #12
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
I just picked it up yesterday for PC. I've had 4-5 hours of playtime last night with no glitches or crashes. Choppy framerates on a dual core AMD and a pair of nvidia 8800s, but not to the point of being unplayable.
Hmm that sounds very heavy
Old 11-05-09, 07:29 PM   #13
Arclight
Navy Seal

Which makes me wonder; Mookie, I've got textures on high and details on high, FPS is usually between 30-60, no AA, 1280x960. Are you running some crazy resolution? Performance should be better on that gear.

Ah, C2Q @3GHZ, 4GB DDR2-800 and 8800GTS 512 on this end.

Yeah, figured it needs registration. Boy it was a pain getting my extra content. I had a Bioware account, but forgot the pass. Clicking "forgot password" took me to some EA site where, of course, my credentials weren't recognized. Ended up making a new account.

Just had a fun encounter: So we stroll across a bridge and run into some Highwayman (robbers). They tell us we should cough up 10 silver pieces, or else... So I tell them about being a Grey Warden and all, and their will to fight fades away. Better yet, I persuade them the Wardens could use a donation, and we left there with 20 silver more than we came with.

There's some good humour in there, reminds of Neverwinter 2 (the Dwarf and Thiefling constantly at each others throat, and Sand the always-sarcastic wizard, brilliant )

* oh, still no issues to report, solid as a rock.

Old 11-05-09, 08:33 PM   #14
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Which makes me wonder; Mookie, I've got textures on high and details on high, FPS is usually between 30-60, no AA, 1280x960. Are you running some crazy resolution? Performance should be better on that gear.

Ah, C2Q @3GHZ, 4GB DDR2-800 and 8800GTS 512 on this end.
I've got a AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ Dual-Core, 2x NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT 512MB and 2 GB DDR2-800. Similar setups...possibly the RAM factor?

I was running at 1680 x 1050. Hmm...maybe I should check into something here.

EDIT: Lowered the resolution to 1280 x 960, turned off vsync and frame buffer effects and still getting fps in the low teens.

Quote:
Just had a fun encounter: So we stroll across a bridge and run into some Highwayman (robbers). They tell us we should cough up 10 silver pieces, or else... So I tell them about being a Grey Warden and all, and their will to fight fades away. Better yet, I persuade them the Wardens could use a donation, and we left there with 20 silver more than we came with.
I just did that part too. Alistair and Morrigan's snipping at each other in the town is too funny. I'm really liking the voice actor for Alistair...he's got that "annoyed resignation" tone down.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.

Last edited by mookiemookie; 11-05-09 at 10:51 PM.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-09, 02:19 AM   #15
Arclight
Navy Seal

"Hey look, a Shadow Wo-AAAARGH SOMEBODY FINISH ME!!!"

"Hey look, a drago-OH GOD IT'S EATING ME!!!"

"Hey look, a Revenant... wait, where did my head roll off to?"