Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 10-16-05, 06:59 PM   #1
Bort
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 0
Default Falcon 4.0 AF, should I get it?

I haven't purchased a modern flight sim since Jane's USAF and I was never overly enthused by what I have heard about LOMAC. While I never had Falcon 4, I wonder if F4:AF should be where I return to the genre. :hmm: I was wondering what people who already have it think about it.

GT Aerospace
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 08:59 PM   #2
Hellcat
Ensign

Downloads: 7

I purchased it as soon as it came out, great stability and simple install process. Most importantly however is that all updates are handled through a automatic update program which you can run from your program shortcut. (If you read anything about Falcon 4.0 you'll know of the hell that we went through with the install process)

Falcon AF solves the install issues and provides the user with a very high fidelity simulation.... but its not as friendly as Jane's USAF. In that sense it's fun to play, though the learning curve is steep and very rewarding.

In your original question you stated that you wanted something out of the flight sim genre well this is the flight sim genre.

Hellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 04:57 PM   #3
waste gate
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Do you need Falcon 4 or is Allied Force stand alone?
Old 08-23-07, 06:38 PM   #4
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 11

Allied Force is a standalone game.

And yes, it's got a learning curve that's not necessarily steep, but it is very long. I started out learning how to fire Mavericks, then moved on to this, then that, then this... I've still not uncovered a third of the game's features. The F-16 is one complex plane.

Rest assured, though, you don't need to know much to play the game. Knowing how to fly and shoot, and understanding the workings of the radars will do it for you. But being able to sit down and decide that 'OK, today I want to learn something new', and then flipping through the several hundred pages long manual for something to pick up is something I've never experienced so far into a game before, and it's truly amazing.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 07:11 PM   #5
waste gate
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper
Allied Force is a standalone game.

And yes, it's got a learning curve that's not necessarily steep, but it is very long. I started out learning how to fire Mavericks, then moved on to this, then that, then this... I've still not uncovered a third of the game's features. The F-16 is one complex plane.

Rest assured, though, you don't need to know much to play the game. Knowing how to fly and shoot, and understanding the workings of the radars will do it for you. But being able to sit down and decide that 'OK, today I want to learn something new', and then flipping through the several hundred pages long manual for something to pick up is something I've never experienced so far into a game before, and it's truly amazing.
Thanks Safe-Keeper.

I've never owned a flight sim......too much like work.
But I saw Subman1's you-tube vids and I said to myself 'I should give that a try'. I'm a little wary though. My last couple of purchases of PC games have been a dissapointing waste of money.

I guess I will think it over a little more........and then buy it and all the goodies along with it. Do you, or anyone else, know anything about the Saitek X52?

Thanks in advance.
wg
Old 08-24-07, 03:34 AM   #6
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

@Waste Gate :

read someone personal review on the X52 here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=118800