SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-11, 12:03 AM   #1
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default Where is a good tutorial on manual targeting?

I need to read a good tutorial on manual targeting for ATO. I have manaul targeting down of SH4 PTO, but I cannot figure out the German side. If someone can point the way, it would be apprecaited. It looks like a heck of a good mod, on the level of TMO, but right now it is kicking my butt because I cannot hit the broadside of a barn, yet alone a target.

Lurker, if you are out there, help is needed.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 04:30 AM   #2
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

search in the sh3 forums, since it works the same as sh3.

but i assume that since you are experienced you don't have problems with gathering data, so the problem is inputting data into the TDC and using it to hit things? or is it using the whiz wheels that ship with the karamozovnew interface?

please clarify what exactly is the problem
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 11:26 AM   #3
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

I think it is "using the whiz wheels that ship with the karamozovnew interface?" I am not sure what that is, so that must be part of the problem
How do I get range? How do I input Aob? I am set for imperial measurement, so do use the 3 minute rule for speed, and if so, how do I input it?
Old 01-20-11, 01:44 PM   #4
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

how have you been playing sh4 all these years?

you get range the usual way - you use the stadimeter (checking the checkbox in the recog manual) - or map contact updates if you want to play 'lite'

but on the whole you are talking about how to use the tdc, not the whiz wheels.

the tdc in the u-boat simulator is basically 4 dials: speed, range, aob, bearing.

there is a switch/button that puts the tdc on or off. find it.

you have to switch this so that when you try and click on the pointer in eg the range, it moves.

set the range to your desired range

do the same with aob

do the same with speed.

- you can forget about bearing. bearing will be taken auto from your scope, but good idea to have the scope pointing at the target at the time

flick the switch again. the tdc is now on auto which means that if you move the scope, it will auto update the aob.

or to put it another way, if you have the bearing at 70 and an aob of port 20 and you plug this in and turn on the tdc, when your scope tracks the target as it advances, the new aob will be constantly updated, so when your scope is now at 000, the aob dial will show port 90. try it and see on an imaginary target.

so that's all done for you, once you have it set correctly you can just wait until the target is in the firing position, no need to mess any more with the tdc, just track with scope and fire.

spreads are also very easy since you just point the scope at the bit of target you want to hit.
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 06:46 PM   #5
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundman View Post
how have you been playing sh4 all these years?

you get range the usual way - you use the stadimeter (checking the checkbox in the recog manual) - or map contact updates if you want to play 'lite'

but on the whole you are talking about how to use the tdc, not the whiz wheels.

the tdc in the u-boat simulator is basically 4 dials: speed, range, aob, bearing.

there is a switch/button that puts the tdc on or off. find it.

you have to switch this so that when you try and click on the pointer in eg the range, it moves.

set the range to your desired range

do the same with aob

do the same with speed.

- you can forget about bearing. bearing will be taken auto from your scope, but good idea to have the scope pointing at the target at the time

flick the switch again. the tdc is now on auto which means that if you move the scope, it will auto update the aob.

or to put it another way, if you have the bearing at 70 and an aob of port 20 and you plug this in and turn on the tdc, when your scope tracks the target as it advances, the new aob will be constantly updated, so when your scope is now at 000, the aob dial will show port 90. try it and see on an imaginary target.

so that's all done for you, once you have it set correctly you can just wait until the target is in the firing position, no need to mess any more with the tdc, just track with scope and fire.

spreads are also very easy since you just point the scope at the bit of target you want to hit.
The issue is simply how to do the manual targeting tasks in a UBoat. I can do them in an American Sub in SH4 PTO and Trenchboats. I will give it another shot and post if I continue to be stuck.
Old 01-21-11, 09:31 PM   #6
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

I cannot figure out how to enter speed. I move the speed dial. Speed is not entered. I push the button to activate and deactivate manual entry of speed, etc. and speed is not entered.

I play with map contacts on. If that is the easy way, I will continue until I figure this stuff out.