SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-07-13, 10:06 PM   #1
SubTraFac
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Recommend a Beginner Sub Sim?

Hello Shipmates,

Respectfully request any recommendations for a SubSim I can start with. I'm new. Last SubSim I played was "Hunt For the Red October." Game experiance: Newbie.

Cheers M8s!
SubTraFac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-13, 10:19 PM   #2
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

I recommend Silent Hunter 3 or 4 to start with.

3 is probably a better starting sim. Spend some time in the various sub-forums and see which game suits you.

You being a newbie...I highly doubt you'll want Dangerous Waters...unless that's your kind of thing.

Anyway, good luck in finding the right sim.

And WELCOME TO SUBSIM!
Old 10-08-13, 01:41 AM   #3
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubTraFac View Post
Hello Shipmates,

Respectfully request any recommendations for a SubSim I can start with.
SH4 is good, but be sure to get the 1.5 version. The earlier versions are bugged. Ideally the "Gold Edition" on disc; that way you can reinstall if you need to, and use the latest mods.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 07:09 AM   #4
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

If you are more interested in a cold war subsim, I'd recommend first trying out "Red Storm Rising" from Microprose...it's very old but still a very good sim and more newbie-friendly than Dangerous Waters.

Also, the manual is very good and teaches you the essential stuff about modern (anti-) submarine warfare. This helps you to get later better into Dangerous Waters...
Old 10-08-13, 09:35 AM   #5
adrians69
Engineer

Downloads: 299

It depends. Are you interested in sub sims in general or a specific type like modern or historic? If you're into more modern subs, Sub Command from Sonalysts is a good starting point. If you like more historic subs then I agree Silent Hunter 3 or 4. SH5 is not really newbie friendly, even though it was intended to be.

Click here to view my MS Flight Simulator X, Silent Hunter, Space Shuttle Mission Simulator, X Plane 11 & Train Simulator 2020 screenshots!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrians69/
adrians69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 09:52 AM   #6
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

The good news is that most of the sims already mentioned can be customized as to difficulty.

At first I was going to recommend some of the older sims, but not only are they harder to get, but let's face it, the graphics are better now.

If you are interested in WWII submarines, you can pick your side: SH3 for Germany and SH4 for the US. Each are fun. Set the difficulty to its lowest and just have fun. Always remember that the purpose of these games is to have fun. There are well respected people on this site that have been playing for years and still keep the difficulty low. The key is to pick the difficulty that keeps the game fun for you.

Then I can recommend many of the strategy posts in the SH3 and SH4 forums on this site. Many really smart people have taken a lot of their time to write tutorials and published them here and also on youtube. Just like in the real navy, we all learned from the old timers.

But don't rush into things. The last thing you want is turn a game that used to be fun into something that is frustrating. Don't worry, soon you will be doing manual targeting if that is your interest.

All these games can be changed with downloadable modifications or mods. The mods are in the Download portion of this and other sites. There is considerable argument whether new players should stick with stock games at first, or jump into mods. And both sides are right.

My opinion: You have plenty of time to mod up. You won't know which mods you might like until you experiment with the stock game for a little bit. Just because a particular mod is popular does not mean that "you" will like it.

Good luck with it. Subsims are not one of those games you will tire of after a few weeks. People here play the same subsim game for years.

Welcome to the board and welcome to submarine simulators.

Now quit posting and install one of the games and start sinking the floaty things!!
Old 10-10-13, 02:28 PM   #7
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

688i (If you can get it to run on your machine) is also a good one.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13, 07:07 PM   #8
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I would say that Silent Hunter 3 and 4 are the most easy to pick up for a beginner.Then as you play more you can increase the workload to make things more in depth and challenging.

Silent Hunter 3 if you really like U-boats SH 4 if you are more into US Navy subs(though there is an excellent mod for SH4 that adds in U-boat operations) I would avoid Silent Hunter 5 honestly.

The other games like Dangerous Waters have much depth to them but are very complex and may be a bit more than you may want to deal with right now.So again SH3 and 4 are the best bets for a beginner level sub simulation that can of course be increased in difficulty.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote