SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-15-10, 12:06 AM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Modding the campaign end

Someone raised the issue of the lack of a decent campaign ending in SH 4 in the regular discussion forums.I suggested it would be cool if the end of the campaign could be extended until say 3 September 1945 and the US fleet be at anchor in Tokyo Bay so when war ends, you get a message to sail to Tokyo Bay if youre a SubPac boat, if Asiatic you get orders to RTB.Maybe even run into a japanese ship or two who doesnt know or does not believe the war is over and acts in a manner that is anything but friendly.

I do not have the knowledge to do this, if I did, I would.However, I would be willing to build the traffic for Tokyo Bay, just need someone who knows how to implement it into the campaign as well as changing the end dates, inserting the orders etc.

Any takers? Would like to make the first version for TMO but could expand to others at some point. Hopefully someone is willing to do this, would add to SH 4 for sure.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 12:39 AM   #2
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

The beauty of the campaign system is that you can make this bit you want as a layer all its own.

Then meshing it will be easier.

So make a surrender layer. You can use the ability of the editor to load (but not save) other layers, so include the harbor facilities, etc.

Then populate it, and add it to the end of the campaign.cfg for TMO with the right date range
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 12:50 AM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater View Post
The beauty of the campaign system is that you can make this bit you want as a layer all its own.

Then meshing it will be easier.

So make a surrender layer. You can use the ability of the editor to load (but not save) other layers, so include the harbor facilities, etc.

Then populate it, and add it to the end of the campaign.cfg for TMO with the right date range
I have no idea about how to do all this, was that you volunteering to help? lol
Old 07-15-10, 02:45 AM   #4
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

That's a very nice idea Bubblehead1980.

In 'Silent Running', James F Calvert describes how they get a messge from Admiral Nimitz on August 15th.

'Cease offensive operations against Japanese forces. Continue search and patrols. Maintain defensive and internal security measures at highest level, and beware of treachery or last moment attacks by enemy forces or individuals'

The next day, from Admiral Halsey

'Hostilities have ceased, but if approached by any Japanese aircraft, shoot them down in a friendly fashion'

They remained in Sagami-nada for a week, then recieved instruction to sail to Tokyo Bay, arriving on the 30th August.

He describes seeing an armada of over 250 Allied warships representing US, Britain, Free France, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the Netherlands and others. And formations of B-29 flying over the bay.

A layer that gave you a taste of this event would be so good.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 02:51 AM   #5
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

I've just seen the photos over in 'Did I Miss Something'
They do a much better job of conveying the scene than my description
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...6&postcount=14
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 04:16 AM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

yea, i remember reading Calvert's book about the surrender and going to Tokyo Bay and about his excursion into Tokyo, he is lucky that he had a friend in Commander Warder or he may have never been Admiral Calvert.Glad everyone thus far seems to like the idea, I believe it would be neat.

Well i've been told this can be done in the game.I just need someone who knows what theyre doing to help me get this going.
Old 07-15-10, 01:21 PM   #7
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Well i've been told this can be done in the game.I just need someone who knows what theyre doing to help me get this going.
Did the person that told you this could be done tell you where the date is that ends the game? I have never looked for it, so it would help if they gave you that info. I know the missions usually have an enddate of Dec 31, but we know the game ends before that.
So the game end date is the first bit of info you need to start your project.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 01:40 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

yea I thought about that.I did notice most of the traffics default exit date is many days after end of war.So wondering if game could be manipulated to end say noon on September 3 1945, day after formal surrender. Of course would have to make sure japanese airbases, shore batteries, asw patrols exit after August 15, with exception of a few ships throughout the Pacific that are not aware or do not believe the war is over, to keep things interesting you know.I figured after September 3 1945 you can get the screens saying what you went on to do or maybe someone could make new ones etc.

I have the vision of what would be nice but as mentioned, do not have the knowledge to do this.About all I can do is do the traffic for the campaign layer(would add the fleet to tokyo bay, a few japanese here and there who refuse to surrender, other allied ships from US, UK etc around the pacific) and send it to whoever would put it all together. Layer could began August 16 1945 and end September 3 1945. Hopefully it can be done, would be pretty nice.I have started research on who was where and when to try and be as accurate as possible in the event this pans out.Hopefully someone will be willing to collaborate, believe it would be much appreciated in the SH 4 community.
Old 07-15-10, 04:06 PM   #9
Lagger123987
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 323
Uploads: 4

Maybe recreate the whole Tokyo Bay surrender in Sh4, imagine the planes flying over, a lot of ships in one spot, course, you have to have a good video card to run the whole show or get bogged down or CTD...I'm about to play around the mission editor see if I can try it out myself.
Old 07-15-10, 05:23 PM   #10
Admiral8Q
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

I have an alternate idea on how to end the game. If you return to port in August, say before the 16th, then you get only one mission when you set out on patrol again starting on Sept 2nd. You would actually start at Tokyo Bay (Which would be your new home port) at a sub-tender, no matter which fleet you were part of. Orders to "Engage rogue ships refusing to surrender!"

Admiral8Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 06:07 PM   #11
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Nah that cuts too much "realism" for me. The way I see it, if youre based out of SubPac and in between war patrols, say you come in to Port on August 1, 1945, you will get a war patrol assignment like normal, say lifeguard somewhere like most subs were doing by that point in war, then head there.At the appropriate time the message from Nimitz comes in

'Cease offensive operations against Japanese forces. Continue search and patrols. Maintain defensive and internal security measures at highest level, and beware of treachery or last moment attacks by enemy forces or individuals'

Will also get Halsey's rather classic message the next day:

'Hostilities have ceased, but if approached by any Japanese aircraft, shoot them down in a friendly fashion'

You continue patrol, Japanese traffic in some areas that will remain hostile, so may give player last chance at action. Around 20 August, player should get message to head for Tokyo Bay, when your sub arrives US and Allied ships at anchor, planes flying(prob not hundreds to be kind to those who do not have the fastest rig) but plenty.Of course refuel/rearm will be an option by then, player wants to go home can or stay campaign ends on 3 September 45 OR could make it where player can transit home after surrender, make game end 31 October 1945 to give time for transit, if player arrives at homeport before 31 October and after September 3 1945, campaign just ends.If in Asiatic Fleet, orders will be RTB because doubt many subs from there were sent to Tokyo and if were not enough to justify this in game, of course player can always go there on his own accord.

Hopefully someone will be willing to help me out with this, think it would be a cool ending and add a SIM factor.
Old 07-15-10, 06:24 PM   #12
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8

What happens at the end of the war now? I have to admit, I play almost exclusively early in the war, and sometimes late to test kaibokan, never right through to the end.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 06:42 PM   #13
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

You just get a message about the atomic bombs then a message on Aug 15th about the end of hostilities, then later it just ends, no matter where you are, says you left navy and went on to successful career in civ life ya ya ya. Pretty lame ending. I have only played till the end 2 or 3 times.I usually play 4-6 patrols with a boat then start a new one in different time period, keeps things fresh.
Old 07-15-10, 09:26 PM   #14
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67

As lackluster as the ending is, it's still better then the ending of SH3. No end movie (did it play when you returned to port?), nor slide show describing your post war years. All you got was a radio message from BDU saying the war was over, and that was it.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 10:19 PM   #15
rein1705
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 0

Would bee kinda neat to get to transit in a wolf pack back to pearl from Tokyo after the surrender.

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
rein1705 is offline   Reply With Quote