SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-09, 04:39 PM   #1
bruce282
Swabbie

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default New to SH4 and Vista, Need a little help

Being new to both SH4 and Vista I'm running into some problems. I installed the game (in C:\games). When I go into "All Programs" and fin the ubisoft folder, there's no shortcut to the game itself. I have the PDF manual, the read me file and a launch updater (something like that).

I start the updater, it tells me there is an update and downloads the 1.4.exe file. After it downloads it asks if I want to run it. I click yes. Nothing seems to happen. I start the updater again, it downloads again, this time I say no and search for the file. Can't find it anywhere.

I drilled down on the C drive and created a shortcut on the desktop for SH4. I started the game and it appears to be version 1.2.

So where did Vista (32 bit) hid my file?

Bruce
Old 04-23-09, 01:11 AM   #2
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85

Don't know about Vista as I run XP but if nobody answers you about vista than you can go to ubisoft and download 1.4 yourself. I now have a habit of downloading to the desk top, that way I know where everything is and than move it to a download folder ex. SH4 downloads.
I'm sure someone using Vista will come along and help.

Magic
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 01:46 AM   #3
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

vista has issues with all games so you cant install them in the programs folder as with xp. it thinks your games are viruses because they have exe files in them lol. it deleted your files and shortcut needed to run the game or prevented it from being created for that reason. programs are ok but games get corrupted in vista programs directory.

uninstall sh4 and put it and all your other games on a seperate partition or create a folder in the main c-drive directory and install your games there and everything will work ok then.
Old 04-23-09, 08:08 AM   #4
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
vista has issues with all games so you cant install them in the programs folder as with xp. it thinks your games are viruses because they have exe files in them lol. it deleted your files and shortcut needed to run the game or prevented it from being created for that reason. programs are ok but games get corrupted in vista programs directory.
Not entirely true. SH4 will be loaded to the X86 files. You will find the desktop icon in the MS created MY GAMES folder were the other icons are for chess, solitar and the other MS games icons are located. Vista does not see loading games as a virus. The games are loaded into the X86 program files and icons go in the MY GAMES. As Webster suggested, it is best to create a root folder for your games anyway. I named mine GAMES2. If I'm installing a game and it allows me to brows and load to another folder I choose my created GAMES2. Some games will only allow the loading to the X86 program files such as COD World at War. It plays fine and I found the desktop Icon in the MY GAMES folder.

Games do not get corrupted in the Vista Programs Directory. Sure some games do not play with Vista, then again, some games did not play on XP that were designed for Windows 98.

1. uninstall SH4
2. Create a root folder off the hard drive. Name it what you want (Don't bother partitioning, waste of time IMO)
3. Instal SH4, when prompted to where it will load the game, navigate to your new root folder you created. Once found, click OK.
4. Go find your Desktop icon in the MY GAMES folder that MS created as part of the OS.
5. Once done, get all your update or install 1.5, etc.
6. The stock game should work just fine.
7. Load up JSGME if you so wish for installing mods.
Old 04-23-09, 10:09 AM   #5
bruce282
Swabbie

I've installed the game in a folder called GAMES which lives in the root of the C drive.

I've also downloaded the 1.4 patch from the Ubisoft website and burned it to CD here at work, so I'll go home and update it.

Guess I need a Vista for Dummies book, this was all a lot easier back in the DOS 3.3 days. :rotfl:

Bruce
Old 04-23-09, 10:18 AM   #6
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Bruce,

Uninstall it as I suggested and make a new root folder. Follow the other instructions and you will be fine. I run SH4 on Vista 64 Premium and have yet to experience any issue
Old 04-23-09, 10:25 AM   #7
owner20071963
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Make sure you Run Your game Patches,
As Administrator,
Also the Mod Enabler,
This will solve Vista Compatibility file Issues,
Always do the above with any game patch with Vista,
Hope this helps
Old 04-23-09, 10:32 AM   #8
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Not entirely true. SH4 will be loaded to the X86 files.

1. uninstall SH4
2. Create a root folder off the hard drive. Name it what you want (Don't bother partitioning, waste of time IMO)
3. Instal SH4, when prompted to where it will load the game, navigate to your new root folder you created. Once found, click OK.
4. Go find your Desktop icon in the MY GAMES folder that MS created as part of the OS.
5. Once done, get all your update or install 1.5, etc.
6. The stock game should work just fine.
7. Load up JSGME if you so wish for installing mods.

ahh, ok, from the last i knew about it, aparently the issues with games was not fully understood.

i guess all the updates have smoothed out the way vista works as well.

i only have xp and never had to learn to use vista (thank goodness)

didnt we used to have a sticky about installing sh4 with vista? where did it go?
Old 04-23-09, 10:45 AM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Don't have Vista, so I can't add to what has already been said.

All I can add is WELCOME ABOARD!
Old 04-23-09, 10:46 AM   #10
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Trust me Webster, I was behind the 8 ball with Vista. Same issues as Bruce. Skwasjer was huge help in getting it straight for me. The biggest thing was making a folder for your games. After that, it acts and runs like XP. I never run it as administrator or any of that. Never ran it as administrator for patches etc. Double click and off I go

No thread yet for Vista installation....maybe we will use this to kick it off.
Old 04-23-09, 11:02 AM   #11
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Trust me Webster, I was behind the 8 ball with Vista. Same issues as Bruce. Skwasjer was huge help in getting it straight for me. The biggest thing was making a folder for your games. After that, it acts and runs like XP. I never run it as administrator or any of that. Never ran it as administrator for patches etc. Double click and off I go

No thread yet for Vista installation....maybe we will use this to kick it off.
i officially volunteer you to create one lol

you could almost just copy and paste your post to a new thread and sticky it.
Old 04-23-09, 11:04 AM   #12
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

I will just start a new one and let Bruce get his sorted with this thread. I really do not want to do the ultimate thread hijack

Thx Webster
Old 04-23-09, 11:10 AM   #13
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I will just start a new one and let Bruce get his sorted with this thread. I really do not want to do the ultimate thread hijack

Thx Webster
i would suggest you put it in the sh4 mods workshop forum, since it gets the most traffic it will get the best exposure there
Old 04-23-09, 11:21 AM   #14
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

I will do both. Because I can
Old 04-24-09, 05:07 AM   #15
bruce282
Swabbie

OK, following the great advice here, I uninstalled and reinstalled to my own c:\games\sh4 folder. Copied the 1.4 patch to desktop, ran it, moved it to a downloaded patches folder I have, and created a shortcut on the desktop for the game.

All is well now.

Now next question, when I set the game play options by turning each option on or off as opposed to just using the drop down to pick EASY or NORMAL, do those choices carry over to the campaign?

Bruce