SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-06-11, 08:06 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Disaster: all my sim input devices do not work with Windows 7 64 Bit

I knew and expected it for my old Sidewinder FF wheel, I read it, and so that loss could be lived with.

Much more harm is done by the complete strike of my CH Fighterstick and ProThrottle. They installed automatically as standard joysticks when I plugged them in, and calibrated as they should from the hardware manager, the stick movements were there and all buttons - just that the Z-axis (throttle, and the wheel on the stick) now was reversed. I then installed control manager 4.51, the latest version i could find. Since then, nothing goes anymore. They do not get recognized in the manager, although they show up as CH devices (and simultaneously HID devices in the hardware manager, plus the SUB root entry marked by the game manager. Since then, I cannot access them in the manager, I cannot calibrate them, they caused no reaction, and now they even cannot be accesses for default windows calibration in the hardware manager anymore - you get a small text box saying you should use the control manager for calibration. I also tried to load some old maps in the manager, they caused no reaction.

I tried the two devices both on the tower's integrated USB 3.0 connectors, and on integrated USB 2.0 connectors. No difference. The USB ports are fully functional however, and correctly loaded, USB sticks, USB-connected devices and external HD work flawlessly on them. The system is brandnew and the installation around 24 hours old only: only the latest of the latest drivers I could find for installing things, no need to already have done driver updates anywhere.

XPSP3 compatibility mode was tried when launching the control manager, it did nothing.

Specs: Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit running on i5 2500 with 8 GB RAM, 1TB Hitachi HD, Gainward GTX460 with 1 GB RAM.

Currently still no sims installed, just system software and tuning options (no overclocking). But i could not drive or fly anything anyway.

!!! Helphelphelp !!!
Old 03-07-11, 05:15 AM   #2
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Did you install it while the CH devices where connected as the instructions said?
it's kind of strange as according to CH's website it is Win7 (all versions) compatible.
you could try to contact their tech support by mail or seek help on their forum http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/forum.php
too bad you start of with some bad experience there, my move to win7 has been without any sort of problem.
hopefully your experience will improve soon too and that you'll be enjoy that new rig.

HunterICX

Last edited by HunterICX; 03-07-11 at 05:40 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 06:07 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Yes, both items were plugged in and were recognised by windows when installing the manager. From that moment on, manager installed, it is impossible to get a reaction from them, neither under the CH software or windows.

I read that many people have problems with proper recognition of their sticks and wheels and stuff, also those using Saitek or Thrustmaster. It seems to be a mess inside Windows 7, especially the 64 Bit version.

If that is the case, and Windows 7 being that long on the market now, future looks grim that there will be a quick remedy. Since it is a priority problem (comparable to be unable to print, if oyu cionsider how many gamers are out there), Microsoft should have moved this much much higher the priority list.

I even cannot be sure that a newly bought wheel would work. People report massive problems even with the latest of the latest hardware.

I need to get rid of the CH drivers, and then see how far I get when using both stick and throttle as windows sticks, needing to remap them in every sim and loosing two thirds of their programmability (2nd and 3rd command layer).

Somehow Windows 64 bit screws iut up, but I think CH control manager also has a problem with dealing with 64 bit environments.

And the stickhanger forum, they do not like my email-adresses. I have 7 adresses by web.de and telekom.de, all get banned even during registry. Great.

I admit I was hoping for a less troublesome migration to W7. Instead it reminds of the worst days in the beginning of XP, although i have 2 yerars of experience with Vista and one month of experience with W7, on systems I maintain for other people.
Old 03-07-11, 11:28 AM   #4
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

All the controllers I have have worked flawless from even the earliest Win7 beta.

Really, this is no fault of Microsoft/Windows. It's the hardware manufacturers that are failing to provide proper support. At least as far as I can figure it.

* could try running the installer&software as admin, to make sure it's not a permissions problem.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 04:26 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

More experiments, more of complete and total failures. But they finally allowed me into the CH hangar by spoecial exception from the rule. They are my last hope, else I do not even know if new joysticks would make sense.

Have ordered a new wheel nevertheless. When harm strikes, then it does so in force: first the system strike and reinstall, then the trouble with the sticks, and now the powerplug of the wheel has broken anyway. This weekend has proven to be more costly than I expected...
Old 03-07-11, 05:37 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

For the time beeing, the issue is hopefully solved. Since it may be of interest for others, I post a link to the thread, the answer to the mess with two important conclusions you will see in the very last posting of mine.

http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/showt...5805#post45805

Uff-uff!
Old 03-07-11, 11:18 PM   #7
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Excellent, hope you will enjoy simming on that rig when you finally get around to it.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote