SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-21-10, 05:17 PM   #1
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default GMO's are still gaining ground (where ? in the US, of course)

Transgenic vegetables, THE generalized time bomb set up to go off at some time later (I just hope I won't be there any more to see this) showing no one should ever have eaten any of that stuff. And now ?

Animals.
Yes guys.
Salmons.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/26/bu.../26salmon.html

http://www.relfe.com/GMOs.html

Just got to hear about that at TV today.
The article from the NY Times is not really new. What I got to hear today is that you'll find that kind of thing in your shops in 2 years.
I can't pretend to know whether people react another way to some news depending on where they live... But if I may, I would ask you how much time do you guys still need to see that a few of your multinational companies (monsanto and the like) are screwing you, your children and the whole world in the ***.

Basically, what do you think of this matter ?
(Yet I got to know how much we Europeans worry about that, I still don't know what the American public opinion thinks of this matter. Actually, anyone living in the US going shopping for vegetables no more can get anything else than transgenic ones. Even just that simple fact gets me thinking why I've still not seen some of your politics hung from the hand of the statue of Liberty with their own innards, for allowing such a thing to happen)

Last edited by Alex; 09-21-10 at 05:31 PM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 05:18 PM   #2
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

I don't care in the least.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 05:29 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater View Post
I don't care in the least.
Possible, or better: likely that that will change in the future. Only that it will be too late then.

Too much absue in the business, and too much criminal energy at work there. Some corporations busiy in this field are acting so much in viollation of mlaws and are so manipulative in their policies that I rate them as institutions of organised crime. It's a mafia.
Old 09-21-10, 05:37 PM   #4
antikristuseke
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 3

I am with tater here, couldn't care less.
antikristuseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 05:40 PM   #5
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Read a news story today about how supermarkets were planning to set aside a section for genetically engineered foods.

Thats fine with me let the folks make a choice, but frankly I would assume that 9 out of 10 pepole would perferr a non engineered food given a choice.
Old 09-21-10, 05:46 PM   #6
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67

I don't like the risk they present to natural species.
I don't mind trying them to eat so long as they are proven to be safe, but......
i'd also like to have it set aside as a clear choice, and not mixed with naturaly grown food.

Aside from that... don't care. Just make it optional, and don't screw with the local ecosystems and I'm fine with it.

edit:
THey'd also have to take steps to ensure none of those franksteins ever made it into the wild. For example, the frankinfish farms should be located WELL inland in some flyover state where it has zero chance of making it into the wild.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 05:51 PM   #7
Sammi79
XO

Downloads: 272

Genetic modification of various life forms has been going on for thousands of years. Carefull selective breeding can improve or expel traits deemed desirable or otherwise and is totally an ancient form of GM. Scientists are merely taking shortcuts by physically manipulating genes in embryonic life forms, to achieve results that would perhaps take 100 or so years of breeding, or sometimes to achieve modifications that would be otherwise impossible. It remains to be seen what the implications and long term effects of this pratice will inevitably produce. I personally harbour no rational fears toward GM for as with breeding, an offspring with a dangerous mutation will 99.9^% die before achieving reproductive ability. Our scientists are not trying to create poisonous foodstuffs.

There is still a myth that should be dispelled that modified creatures can somehow infect unmodified creatures, this is simply impossible. Your genes are your genes and eating things does not modify them. A real risk is that we create a modified organism that has so many advantages over its natural counterparts that it dominates their place it the natural order, and the original creature becomes extinct, however this modified creature, is better than the original, in terms of survivability and procreation and so forth and would have probably occured naturally given enough time.

Genetic modification of human embryos on the other hand, poses huge moral complications and should not be attempted for any other reason apart from maybe just possibly to correct an obviously fatal flaw, if ever at all.
Sammi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-10, 06:08 PM   #8
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
zero chance of making it into the wild.

LOL zero chance... hey were talking about human beings running things here Probably worse yet the goverment will be involved somehow.
Old 09-21-10, 06:10 PM   #9
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi79 View Post
Genetic modification of various life forms has been going on for thousands of years.
Theres a reason they call it 'natural' selection.
Old 09-21-10, 06:17 PM   #10
Sammi79
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake View Post
Theres a reason they call it 'natural' selection.
Yes, there is, but being bred selectively by humans is not equivalent to it.
Old 09-21-10, 06:21 PM   #11
tater
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi79 View Post
Yes, there is, but being bred selectively by humans is not equivalent to it.
No, that's "un-natural" selection.
Old 09-21-10, 06:21 PM   #12
Sammi79
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater View Post
No, that's "un-natural" selection.
or maybe just... selection?
Old 09-21-10, 06:28 PM   #13
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30

@ Tater & Antiwhatever : remember that you buy new illnesses never seen before every time you go shopping for food. Some people are magnanimous enough not to care about that (or is it silly ? with all due respect) ... Most people, certainly. But I must say I can't avoid feeling discontent seeing how American people are spreading their virus all over the world - without even wishing to do so - via some of their biggest companies just by proving how much people can be narcissistic and care about themselves only.

@ Skybird : Was thinking I was the only one seeing the world that way, LOL.

@ Ducimus : Where there's transgenic stuff ? It spreads. More, and more, and more. You can't stop it. It spreads so much that natural species are now bound to disappear. Yes Sir.
Just google that biggest reservation refrigerator ever built in Spitzberg, Norway, sponsored by Bill Gates himself. Designed to preserve natural species only. If GMO didn't spread, that thing would not exist today.

@ Sammi : Well, I harbour at least one rational fear towards genetically modified food.
And I apologize in advance if my english is still too rough to explain it another way.
But legally, any kind of food must be "tested"/eaten for 2 years by a group of people, thus showing properly whether this food is fit for consumption, before being allowed to be sold in shops. GMF (vegetables AFAIK) have been "tested" for 4 months. Period.

To quote a wise man, now the question is "can we undo what we have done, before we undo what we become"...
Old 09-21-10, 06:35 PM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
I don't like the risk they present to natural species.
I don't mind trying them to eat so long as they are proven to be safe, but......
i'd also like to have it set aside as a clear choice, and not mixed with naturaly grown food.

Aside from that... don't care. Just make it optional, and don't screw with the local ecosystems and I'm fine with it.

edit:
THey'd also have to take steps to ensure none of those franksteins ever made it into the wild. For example, the frankinfish farms should be located WELL inland in some flyover state where it has zero chance of making it into the wild.
It is illusoiry to assume that you can keep natural populations free from seeds with chnaged genes. Even more so when copnsideirng that certain corproations release genetic sample intentionally in order to confront poltiics with new realities. Monsanto even dares to sue farmers in South America that have resisted to buying their genetically modified seeds, when the wind or water have transported such seeds onto "clean fields", Monsanto maintains a whole army of field detectives to detect such infestations and then sue the farmers over - violation of patent rights, and the like. That is criminal behavior. Monsanto also repeatedly let escape - unintentionally of course, we believe everything they say, don'T we - samples of genetically changed crop in Germany after the authorities prhibited them to do it and rejected thair request to be allowed to bring these seeds out in nature. They are gangsters, knowing that once the genie was out of the bottle you cannot get it back into it, that way they hope to make the policy making the laws that they want, becaseu policy-makers then can only react to the aleady altered reality.

You cannot control geneticall chnaged material once it has left the test tube and came into contact with a natural habitat. It will spread, wether you like it or not. It does not matter whether you separate two fields by ten m eters of a thiusand kilometers. Wind, rain, birds, gelogical movement, and more - it all makes sure that the modified seeds will niot stay just on that field where you have brought them out.

That's why I would want to see certain Monsanto managers serving a lifetime sentence in prison.
Old 09-21-10, 06:38 PM   #15
tater
Navy Seal

Norman Borlaug disagrees.

Given your opinion vs his... I'll take his