SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-24, 12:49 AM   #1
1Patriotofmany
Captain

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 0
Default Add the guy that fixes even destroyed parts?

I think it's vanilla that you can put a guy on your boat that can fix even destroyed items. How would I put that guy on my boat in Dark Waters? Anybody that knows the games duty roster manipulating? Please let me know, I want him on my boat. Yes i play baby level.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-24, 08:28 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Gone to Texas. No More Kleptocratic Government for me!
Downloads: 440
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
I think it's vanilla that you can put a guy on your boat that can fix even destroyed items. How would I put that guy on my boat in Dark Waters? Anybody that knows the games duty roster manipulating? Please let me know, I want him on my boat. Yes i play baby level.
do not feel guilty at using Special Abilities. i use them also.

Fifi and his development team, of which i was one, removed the fix-destroyed-items ability from the special ability file. if you want to use it you will need to do several tasks, none of which is monumental, but all will need to be done.

before we start, let me ask: do you know how to set up your own mini-mod for use with JSGME and do you know how to edit a text file using Notepad, which is a Windows generic text editor?

km

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-24, 08:43 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

The US and German side has a SpecialAbility 1 for Ability-Master-Engineer, which "acts in PropulsionRoom, which also includes Speed of repair, and looks to allow 1x for the CanRepairDestroyedItems. There is also one with reversed, but the same Abilities at SpecialAbility 17 for Ability-Active-Quick-Repair, which acts in All rooms, and with the same 1x for the CanRepairDestroyedItems. The German CrewMembers.upc lists CrewMember 14 with SpecialAbility 1, and CrewMember 30 with SpecialAbility 17. The US has all at NULL. But the Ranks.upc file is where the SpecialAbility IDs are set. To place one on a current crewmember, you would have to go into the Save folder, find the current (most recent date & time stamp) "ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc", find a UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 1.CrewMemberSlot 1.CrewMember with empty "SpecialAbilities=" and "SpecialAbilityTimers=" lines, and apply appropriate text. Save the file and see what happens... I do not remember the proper "SpecialAbilityTimers=" format, but it might be the same as the settings in the SpecialAbilities xx listings from the SpecialAbilities.upc file, such as "AbilityValue= 1, 75, 75" or "AbilityValue= 125, 125, 1", depending whether you use #1 or #17... If I remember correctly, they have to have the proper rank, as found in the German file.

I have never attempted to edit for such and I am not at all familiar with SpecialAbilities. There used to be several people around here who knew how to maniplute the Save folder for that. I do know of two that are no longer living, and a 3rd that has since retired from SubSim, but perhaps KaleunMarco can pull something from his grey matter, or maybe paper notes??

Edit: and KaleunMarco beat me to it anyway... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayers" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-21-24 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Ah-HAAA!!! lol
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-24, 09:02 AM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

I have never attempted to edit for such and I am not at all familiar with SpecialAbilities. There used to be several people around here who knew how to maniplute the Save folder for that. I do know of two that are no longer living, and a 3rd that has since retired from SubSim, but perhaps KaleunMarco can pull something from his grey matter, or maybe paper notes??

Edit: and KaleunMarco beat me to it anyway... lol
"can i do that? sir, you cut me to the quick"

of course, i can and have done this.

my question to 1Patriot is to discover if he has the skill and the will to make the changes. while the skill is not difficult, the change does require a certain amount of attention-to-detail.

LAA enabled
Old 08-21-24, 03:01 PM   #5
1Patriotofmany
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
do not feel guilty at using Special Abilities. i use them also.

Fifi and his development team, of which i was one, removed the fix-destroyed-items ability from the special ability file. if you want to use it you will need to do several tasks, none of which is monumental, but all will need to be done.

before we start, let me ask: do you know how to set up your own mini-mod for use with JSGME and do you know how to edit a text file using Notepad, which is a Windows generic text editor?

km
No I don't know how to set up a mini mod but yes I can edit text files with note pad. Lot of experience editing them since DOS. A bunch of late with a flight sim strike fighters 2. Shoot, good sir!
Old 08-21-24, 08:13 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
No I don't know how to set up a mini mod but yes I can edit text files with note pad. Lot of experience editing them since DOS. A bunch of late with a flight sim strike fighters 2. Shoot, good sir!
tell you what, i am going to upload the instructions into a MODS file and you can open that give it a try.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...=6496&act=down

if it does not work or you think it is beyond your skill, well....then we'll look at a different solution.

LAA enabled
Old 08-27-24, 09:48 PM   #7
1Patriotofmany
Captain

Thanks KM I haven't gotten to port yet, but I think I understand the instructions, I'll let you know when I get to it and whether i figured everything right. Much appreciated the time you took to write this out for me.