SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-17-23, 09:02 AM   #1
Spicy tuna
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default New career advice.

Hey guys!
I'm starting another career, this time with bubbleheads excellent tmo overhaul. I'm planning on doing an asiatic career. I'm going to be using a sargo for the first time.
Now I would love to hear what kind of mods I should add beyond the tmo overhaul you guys recommend. Also any kind of tips I should need for the asiatic career as I have always done pearl harbour.

Thanks in advance and good hunting
Spicy tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-23, 09:27 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Spicy tuna!...on the surface after a long 'silent run'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-23, 10:36 AM   #3
Spicy tuna
Swabbie

Thanks for the welcome. I've been playing silent hunter since about 2011 with silent hunter3. And more recently with 4. Long time lurker of these forums though.
Old 07-17-23, 10:57 AM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 437
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy tuna View Post
Hey guys!
I'm starting another career, this time with bubbleheads excellent tmo overhaul. I'm planning on doing an asiatic career. I'm going to be using a sargo for the first time.
Now I would love to hear what kind of mods I should add beyond the tmo overhaul you guys recommend. Also any kind of tips I should need for the asiatic career as I have always done pearl harbour.

Thanks in advance and good hunting
since you will be playing TMO_BH as opposed to TMO 2.5 ala Ducimus, take care that mods you apply are compatible with TMO_BH.

READ the first screen in that thread and all available documentation from Bubblehead in the downloaded zip file.

be prepared for really, really dark nights.

good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-23, 01:04 PM   #5
Spicy tuna
Swabbie

I'm excited for dark nights, and to feel like o-kane in attacking at night. Thanks. I'm half technically inept so any advice is appreciated.
Old 07-19-23, 09:24 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

You will be assigned the Java Sea area, and other shallow waters... tread carefully. Once you get your SD Radar, try to use it sparingly - if you have the time. It does become a homing beacon for the Japanese air. However, that is NOT advice to not use it. Definitely use it. Rockin Robbins has a little video

in the Sub Skipper's Bag of Tricks thread. You just have to make certain you have someplace deep enough to dive in... I used to try to find me a hidey-hole of deeper water to hide in during the daylight hours, and do my patrolling at night, but not all of the patrol zones will have a hidey-hole... Go and be careful... Pay attention to radio messages that warn of impending base closures that will affect your home port. Look for changes in the off-set, "fouled" anchor indicator for your home port. Also, get used to using the after torpedoes...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-23, 10:34 AM   #7
Spicy tuna
Swabbie

Default First outing.

After a quick test patrol, I can say I like this mod set. Tmo ala bubblehead is perfectly difficult. I have played for little more then two hours, and it was the most fun I've had in this game. Starting in 1941 without an SD radar set has made me fear the day, I crave the safety of the dark.

I was patroling the luzon straights, in the all consuming darkness when after 5 days in the area propeller noises were heard. Sharp and fast, a warship. A pair of warships, heading south to cause untold damage in luzon. I tracked them for hours they were moving fast at least 16 knots. Getting into a firing position was difficult.

Once in a firing position still surfaced I slowed, almost stopped. Then at 2500 or so yards, a pair of destroyers loomed in the dark, I was determined to do something. Three forward tubes prepped to fire. Set shallow enough for any destroyer to crack. They passed the wire at 345 degrees, and three torpedoes started of on a 1300 yard track. They looked good, real good. Until one detonated 500 yards off of our bow. I hit the plunger, down we went just as the moon rose. I don't know what happened to the other 2 fish, I didn't have time to think about it.

The first ashcans fell after we hit 200 feet depth, they were persistent, persistent enough to drop at least 50 cans on our boat, which most were far, a few close. One too close.

Anywho, after playing Sh4 for years, this was the first time I ever was sunk by depth charges. I'm really excited to dive into this mod set fully. I love that I'm not finding huge convoys five minutes out of Manila like I have with other mods in the past. Those dark nights are getting me excited too.