SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-11-11, 09:11 PM   #1
Pilot_76
Chief

Downloads: 427
Uploads: 0
Default Suggestion for mod: Supplies

Hi there...

I've been thinking if it wouldn't be cool to have an inventory of your food supplies on board? Like "Captain, we're down to 20% of supplies. That's only good for X days". It would limit your patrol as well. So not only fuel you have to worry about. Other neat thing would to have a list of served meals so you kind of think "Gee, Ice cream again..."

This could also be an app for iphone in a stand alone basis. Like you insert the date and Local time and the app would simulate all this. When you finish with the app and later you load it again the app would ask what local time and date the current game is then it would simulate how much supplies were consumed. It could also simulate food poisoning, etc...
Pilot_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 09:45 PM   #2
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

Solution: Get off your butt, go the kitchen, raid the refrigerator.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 09:51 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

This topic gets brought up ever couple of months. The fact is there is no record of any submarine having to cut a patrol short due to lack of food. I don't know about fleet boats, but here is a list of supplies for one u-boat three-month patrol, nicely showing how much they could actually carry.
http://www.uboat.net/men/foodstuffs.htm
Old 11-11-11, 10:52 PM   #4
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

The large size of the Gato class generally allowed them to carry sufficient food and supplies for a 75 day patrol from Hawaii to Japan and back. Fuel, which was usually being burned all the time was the major deciding factor in determining when to break off a patrol. The Gato class boats all had air conditioning, refrigerated storage for food, and fresh water distilling units. Air conditioning operating as a dehumidifier was crucial in helping to keep food and stores from spoiling in the tropics. Plus, there are some accounts of a little trading going on with some of the Filipino and Indonesian sampans. Fresh tropical fruit for onboard trinkets.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 10:59 PM   #5
Pilot_76
Chief

HOw about american subs? Any link for a meal and supplies on board patrols?
Old 11-11-11, 11:47 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I've looked and couldn't find anything specific, but the cruising range of a fleet submarine is pretty much always listed as 11,000 miles @ 10 knots, which translates to just under 46 days. Since the Type IX u-boat could carry food for 84 days, and the US fleet boats carried more men, but not that many more, there is no reason not to believe that they would run out of fuel long before they ran out of food. Again, the clincher isn't what might or might not be, but that there is no report of any boat suffering from lack of food during a patrol.
Old 11-11-11, 11:53 PM   #7
Pilot_76
Chief

I asked this to the WOTA developer and he was curious as well. Tks for the info...
Old 11-12-11, 06:22 PM   #8
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot_76 View Post
Hi there...

I've been thinking if it wouldn't be cool to have an inventory of your food supplies on board? Like "Captain, we're down to 20% of supplies. That's only good for X days". It would limit your patrol as well. So not only fuel you have to worry about. Other neat thing would to have a list of served meals so you kind of think "Gee, Ice cream again..."

This could also be an app for iphone in a stand alone basis. Like you insert the date and Local time and the app would simulate all this. When you finish with the app and later you load it again the app would ask what local time and date the current game is then it would simulate how much supplies were consumed. It could also simulate food poisoning, etc...
I think this is a good idea too, but I doubt it is possible in the game. I, like SS, also read that fleetboats had supplies (or could hold supplies) for 75 days, but don't know if they ever made patrols that long. I rather doubt it. It would have to be very wearing on the crew. I'm often playing with the S-class boats, so I would like to know how long they could stay out. Probably no more than 45 days or so.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 06:58 PM   #9
Karle94
The Old Man

Downloads: 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I think this is a good idea too, but I doubt it is possible in the game. I, like SS, also read that fleetboats had supplies (or could hold supplies) for 75 days, but don't know if they ever made patrols that long. I rather doubt it. It would have to be very wearing on the crew. I'm often playing with the S-class boats, so I would like to know how long they could stay out. Probably no more than 45 days or so.
If the S-class held together that long.

Find my mods here:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/lzgciodldp58p/SH4_Mods
My SH4 blog here:
http://karle94.blogspot.com/
Karle94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 09:01 AM   #10
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
This topic gets brought up ever couple of months. The fact is there is no record of any submarine having to cut a patrol short due to lack of food. I don't know about fleet boats, but here is a list of supplies for one u-boat three-month patrol, nicely showing how much they could actually carry.
http://www.uboat.net/men/foodstuffs.htm
And Fleet Boats could even carry more i assume.
Would be interesting to know how many food Kentrat on U-196 had on board when he made his 225 days patrol.
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 10:32 AM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo Otto View Post
Would be interesting to know how many food Kentrat on U-196 had on board when he made his 225 days patrol.
I doubt he had food for more that 120 days. On the other hand it's obvious that he didn't have to cut his patrol short for lack of food. I couldn't find anything detailed online, but my guess is that his 'patrol' was less a patrol than a deployment, with at least a couple of stops for supplies and fuel, since the listed range of 23,700 miles at 12 knots is only 84 days.
Old 11-13-11, 11:37 AM   #12
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I doubt he had food for more that 120 days. On the other hand it's obvious that he didn't have to cut his patrol short for lack of food. I couldn't find anything detailed online, but my guess is that his 'patrol' was less a patrol than a deployment, with at least a couple of stops for supplies and fuel, since the listed range of 23,700 miles at 12 knots is only 84 days.
23700 Miles at 12 knots?
I know of a Range from 9900 Nautical miles (18300 km) at 10 knots (im always pretty confused with all that imperial stuff )
Source:
Kriegsmarine U-boats, 1939-45 fromWilliamson & Palmer

Was a Patrol which he started from Kiel, he sunk two ships during this Patrol one he sunk in Kriegsmarine Grid KZ1391 which is at the east coast of South Africa (Merchant Nailsea Meadow) and the other one (merchant City of Oran) was from Convoy CB-1 near Mocambique.
From there he went back to Bordeaux
Supply by Milk Cow isnt mentioned anywhere, most of them where located in the North or Central Atlantic way of his route or already sunk
And there is also no mentioning by support thru other boats.
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 12:31 PM   #13
Pilot_76
Chief

Quote:
I'm doing a Patrol South of Formosa with the S-18 as well...
Old 11-13-11, 04:11 PM   #14
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot_76 View Post
I'm doing a Patrol South of Formosa with the S-18 as well...
This is a bit OT, but I have been playing WitP-AE ( a grand strategy Pacific theater game), and the short range of the S-class is a major limitation of these boats. The S-18 class have an endurance of only 4050 nm! As it turns out, that's not really enough.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 05:03 PM   #15
Pilot_76
Chief

Quote:
This is a bit OT, but I have been playing WitP-AE ( a grand strategy Pacific theater game), and the short range of the S-class is a major limitation of these boats. The S-18 class have an endurance of only 4050 nm! As it turns out, that's not really enough.
At least my base is Manila. Very close!!