SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-08-09, 06:21 PM   #1
nikbear
Sea Lord

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 0
Case Fans?

Finally installing and finishing of my new rig,and was wondering if you would all give your opinions
The new case is an Thermaltake M5,it has a 140mm fan in the front,for induction(correct) In the top is another 140mm fan as exhaust,aswell as a 120mm fan at the top/back,so far,so good.
The dilema I have is that there are places in the door panel for a further 2 fans,either 140 or 120mm in size,now should they be exhaust or intake?

http://uk.thermaltake.eu/product_inf...&name=M5&ovid= This is the case in question,any suggestions or opinions very appreciatedThank you.
Old 09-08-09, 06:47 PM   #2
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Ummmm...if you add any more fans your computer will take off. Anyway, the side is normally for intake.
Old 09-08-09, 06:56 PM   #3
nikbear
Sea Lord

Thanks for the quick reply Yeah,there are alot of fans,determined not to have any heat issues I thought they might be intake,was just curious if people had tried other ways and what sort of results they got
Old 09-08-09, 07:16 PM   #4
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Yeah, I'd say use as intake.

In my case (heh) I only have 1 fan where you have that top one, and just a grill without fan below. I set the side fan to exhaust, creating negative pressure inside the case, so cool(er) air flows naturally in through the grills without a fan actually pushing it in.

But it seems to me you have fans in every open section of the case, so just go with "as designed".

Nice case.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 08:39 PM   #5
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Since heat rises and there is less dust in the air at lower levels I keep inputs at the bottom or lower parts of the case and exaust at the top! If you can I have filters on all of my inputs (3), keeps the insides clean, Just remember, dust/dirt + moisture (humid day etc) = mud/rust/corrosion. My case is similar, I did away with the clip arrangement that holds the cards in place, screws are much better!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 07:31 AM   #6
nikbear
Sea Lord

Thanks for the reply's chaps,always helps to ask considered opinions
Must admit Reece,I'm not a fan of those clip retention systems either,did like you and reverted to screws Good thing you mentioned about filters,I need to get some thanks.
Old 09-09-09, 07:54 AM   #7
Kloef
Weps

Downloads: 30

Most TT cases dont need more cooling fans then the number they are sold with,and depending on what you build in you probably are fine cooling-wise.

I dont think you need 5 more coolers

And the filters in TT cases are excellent,i only open my case(armor big tower) once a year and there's almost nothing to see..

My only complaint is it sucks in so much air the frontpanels get covered with cathairs and dust from basically a living room wide arc so i use the vacuum cleaner on the front intakes at least 3 times a week and try to keep the living room as dustfree as possible..i'm a slave to the case:rotfl:

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/
Kloef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 08:13 PM   #8
nikbear
Sea Lord

Oh I'm a slave to the hoover as well,we have 6 cats