Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-22-09, 06:36 PM   #1
Shearwater
Captain

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default Harpoon Classic Tactics

Hey guys,
I've been playing (or rather, trying to play) Harpoon Classic for Windows (the original Windows release from 1995) for quite some time now, but I've never come to grips with that game. I'm fascinated with the theme of the game, and the fact that people are still creating scenarios for it seems proof enough that it's still some of the best of its genre.
Yet I have a sublte, but blatant problem. To sum it up, I could say something like, "What on earth am I actually supposed to do?", or, if mission orders shed a bit of light on said problem, it's something like, "How on earth am I supposed to achieve this??"
I've played the tutorial missions, and I know how to control the sim, and I've read the original manual from cover to cover, yet to no avail. It actually found it interesting most of the time, but it didn't actually give me some useful information. My impression is that it presupposes so much knowledge of naval warfare that it doesn't bother to teach you the basics. To give you an example: In the third mission of the original GIUK battleset, I really don't know how to effectively conduct the ASW search to which I'm assigned. If I'm lucky, one of the helos or the FFGs finds a sub contact, or - if I'm not that fortunate - a sub actually attacks one of my groups and I have at least a general idea where to search. But most of the time, I just set a couple of waypoints, let my frigates crawl, send out the helos and, - ... nothing happens until the mission timer runs out and I lose.
My question now is:
Does there exist some kind of manual for Harpoon, or some kind of book, that provides some explanation as to what I'm supposed to do, and how?
I'm not a complete novice of naval games, but those I play (DW, SC and the like) just have a very different, 'tactical' scope, but I strongly assume that Harpoon just requires a different mindset, if you will. Since some people on this site are still playing and enjoying it, I'm quite confident that learning how to play the game is doable, but I just don't know where to start.
Hope you got the general idea
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 10:07 PM   #2
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0

Usually the briefing will give you some sense of what the threats are and where they may be. In the end though, just like in real life, it can be a guessing game. What you have to do is look at what your intelligence tells you from the briefing and try to figure out or guess at what the enemey's targets are. That will help narrow down your search areas.

Also, for sub searches, I like to split up my ships and cast a wide net of SEVERAL miles. Then, when one gets a reading, I slowly close at least two or three ships (If I have them) from as many directions as I can into the area to try to triangulate the sub's location.

Herman can probably answer this better. He's an expert !
Old 10-22-09, 11:49 PM   #3
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Default Harpoon Classic scenarios

Let me post the orders for the Blue side from Scenario #3 so that everyone who might be reading this thread can try and follow along with the discussion. If you like, we can discuss the other side afterwards.
3.1 Background: Soviet submarines are a grave threat to NATO plans to resupply Europe. For Soviet submarines to get to the convoy routes, they must pass through the narrows around Iceland. It is here that NATO can concentrate its outnumbered ASW forces in an attempt to catch and kill Soviet submarines as they transit to and return from the convoy routes of the North Atlantic.

3.2 Blue Orders: Aggressively search for and destroy Soviet submarines before they slip through the portion of the GIUK gap north of Iceland. Move your Groups to maximize your search area. Keep your speed below 20 knots so that you do not degrade your own sonar performance or make it easier for the enemy to hear you. Use your helicopters and aircraft to dispatch detected Soviet submarines. Remember, if your ships are close enough to launch torpedoes, so is the sub!

3.3 Intelligence Brief: SOSUS has detected the presence of Soviet nuclear submarines near Iceland. No diesel submarines have been detected, but since they are much quieter, they may have slipped by unnoticed. No ballistic missile submarines are reported in the area.

3.4 Minimum Victory Conditions: Sink at least three Soviet submarines and damage several others.
Everyone has a different style of play and their own favourite tactics. I'm somewhat of a 'cowboy'. I do things that many other players probably won't dare try. For example, in this scenario, I might set up a ring or semi-circle of ASW helos around my ship(s). Then I might go to full speed and raise such a ruckus that any sub in the area is going to take a shot at me. I am gambling that I will detect the sub/torpedo either with my towed array sonar or from the sonobuoys laid by my helos. My style is not for the faint of heart. It can get really exciting.

You have mentioned a few good tactics. However, as you stated, you often find yourself running out of time. That means you have to cover larger areas. In Real Life, this is accomplished by Sprint/Drift tactics. Your ship might sprint for 40 mins and then sit quietly for 20 mins to allow the sonar to adjust. This can be done within the formation editor. Ships placed in the outer rings of the formation will automatically sprint and then drift at 5kts. You can also do this manually for the entire formation, if you prefer.

Scott's idea to spread out his ships is wise, too. Also, his suggestion that you read the orders closely are helpful. For example, you might be deduce from:
Quote:
For Soviet submarines to get to the convoy routes, they must pass through the narrows around Iceland. It is here that NATO can concentrate its outnumbered ASW forces in an attempt to catch and kill Soviet submarines as they transit to and return from the convoy routes of the North Atlantic.
That the submarines are possibly going to try and traverse the gap. Instead of combing a million miles of open ocean, you could try to concentrate a little closer to the Iceland/Greenland gap.

Scott's other idea to separate the ships so that they can better triangulate the sub's position is a winner, too.

Other tactics you might try are to hold your helos aboard until your long-range sensors detect a contact. If you are able to get a bearing on a contact, you can launch a helo out towards the skunk. As it moves outwards, it can drop sonobuoys enroute and this will help you cut down the area to be searched.

There are all kinds of good books to discuss naval tactics. You might be able to find the "Harpoon Battlebook", by deGoey. It is specifically for your early version of the game and can be useful to novices. "Fleet Tactics" by Capt. Wayne Hughes is very popular and informative, too. However, the best way to learn, IMO, is just to play lots. The more scenarios you play, the more quickly you learn what does and what does not work. It's just a game and you get as many "Mulligans" as you want.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote