SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-19-09, 01:00 AM   #1
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default I cracked my Vista DVD...

I have a lot of CDs and DVDs and I had never ever cracked even one of my CD and DVD. Until today when I cracked my Vista x64 CD.

What can I do now? I hesitate on buying another Vista now that windows 7 is coming....

Damn you microsoft what's with the sloppy case?
I never ever cracked my CD or DVD and this is my first time ever.

my Vista is OEM system builder version. And despite the notice on the manual the shop sold me the OEM version not the regular release. I feel cheated as I have only bought Vista a couple months ago.

I have recurrence problems of crashing which need me to solve them by reinstalling Vista(could be hackers or COMODO). So I've reinstalled Vista probably more than 10 times this couple months(since I got it). This morning I noticed two symmetric very short line
on the inner CD that one of them grew into long lines right after I snapped back the CD into its case. it was always rather tight....
Old 04-19-09, 01:21 AM   #2
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Could be Comodo, I use to get crashes all the time with comodo antivirus comodo firewall i had no problems.

Unless MS will let you replace your cd for another vista im afraid you might have to fork out another.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 03:44 AM   #3
Castout
Silent Hunter

Sigh...the money is a lot for me . Could use it for other things.

Do you think I can install a 64 bit Vista ultimate(by buying the pirated trial version) instead and just key in my Vista home premium 64 bit and get my vista?
Old 04-19-09, 04:22 AM   #4
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Could try the beta. Can't download it anymore from MS, but you can still register for a key. Where you get a copy of Win7 is then up to you.

Just as a suggestion, I can imagine you're not comfortable running a beta as you main OS.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 06:59 AM   #5
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
Sigh...the money is a lot for me . Could use it for other things.

Do you think I can install a 64 bit Vista ultimate(by buying the pirated trial version) instead and just key in my Vista home premium 64 bit and get my vista?
The pirates have a TRIAL version? Now that is funny so what happens when your trial ends do you have to pay for the full pirated version? lol

You would of been better off making a backup copy of your vista so when the crap hits the fan at least you can reinstall. Even a backup is not allow i think nevertheless always make a backup of your cds you want to hold onto.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 10:43 AM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

You should contact MS, if you have a legal copy of the OS and the broken CD, they will replace it for you.
Old 04-19-09, 06:14 PM   #7
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 View Post
The pirates have a TRIAL version? Now that is funny so what happens when your trial ends do you have to pay for the full pirated version? lol
Actually the pirate shops here sell the trial Vista ultimate 64 bit. It's the actual Vista 64 bit only it will cease to function in about 4 weeks if I'm not mistaken or was that 3 months unless you key in your legal code.

Yea my mistake I didn't make a backup because I never cracked any of my CDs before because I always handled them with care or so I thought . . . This really sucks but I paid for the software and not for the cd so I will try to contact MS support here....but reading their System builder version end user support agreement(that support directly goes to manufacturer of the system since system builder version of Windows were supposed to only have come with the hardware itself). I don't think I want to spend my money on another vista now that 7 is coming up.

Last edited by Castout; 04-19-09 at 06:28 PM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 06:27 PM   #8
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
You should contact MS, if you have a legal copy of the OS and the broken CD, they will replace it for you.
Thanks Neal I will do just that since I think I primarily paid for the software and not for the media(cd). Of course paying for a replacement CD is inevitable but at least I wouldn't have to fork out another 130 bucks.
Old 04-19-09, 09:42 PM   #9
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
Thanks Neal I will do just that since I think I primarily paid for the software and not for the media(cd). Of course paying for a replacement CD is inevitable but at least I wouldn't have to fork out another 130 bucks.

Exactly. It's worth $10 to get a replacement CD, then you won't have any hassles with the OS authentication.
Old 04-20-09, 04:55 AM   #10
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Also if the case makes it hard to take the disc out, you should safe it in a different case.
I broke my Battlefield2 Disc that way....tried to take it out ''Knack!'' I saw a little debri flying away the inner circle damaged and a crack that went right through the readable surface.

HunterICX
Old 04-20-09, 06:00 AM   #11
Castout
Silent Hunter

Yes of course I would place the replacement disc in a safe case. Obviously the MS case is a little too tight.

I already called MS customer service and they directed me to send an email to microsoft. I did that and now awaiting their response.

The customer service lady informed me that while certain OEM software are not eligible to get replacement disc since they come with the hardware, some OEM OS could be sold separately and hence eligible for replacement disc. But basically the customer service bounced me to an email.....I'm hoping for the best.
Old 04-20-09, 01:54 PM   #12
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511
Uploads: 0

Sorry to hear about your problem.

It would be valuable to hear how this turns out .

Good Luck.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 12:57 AM   #13
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post
Sorry to hear about your problem.

It would be valuable to hear how this turns out .

Good Luck.
Well Microsoft said that my Vista is OEM and such not eligible to get a replacement disc.

I guess I will have to find another way or to buy another Vista.

Edit: For those who are interested I finally got my self another cd. Well it's not actually legal. See the disc is Vista x64 SP1(my original disc didn't even come with SP1) without being cracked whatsoever so if you didn't put the legal code it would stop working in I think like 3 months.

Last edited by Castout; 05-17-09 at 11:13 PM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote