Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-20-20, 07:09 AM   #1
Sandman_28054
Captain

Downloads: 270
Uploads: 0
Default Rig for silent running

Alright folks, I asked this a long time ago, but can't find the thread.

Calling for "Silent Running" the speed goes to 3 knots. I want 1 knot.

Which file do I edit?

Many thanks.
Travelly's Harbor and Canal Pilot
Uboat_Snorkel_1_1_0 By The DarkWraith
Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1.4 By TheBeast
Sandman_28054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-20, 01:50 PM   #2
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_28054 View Post
Alright folks, I asked this a long time ago, but can't find the thread.

Calling for "Silent Running" the speed goes to 3 knots. I want 1 knot.

Which file do I edit?

Many thanks.
If you use TWoS, on silent running you have 55 RPM and 1 knot.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-20, 06:27 AM   #3
Sandman_28054
Captain

Downloads: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
If you use TWoS, on silent running you have 55 RPM and 1 knot.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

Thanks but not quite what I was asking for.

I known how to hit the "Z" key and hit 1 knot on speed.

But there used to be a place in the files where you could "edit" that so that when you hit the "Z", it went to 1 knot.
Travelly's Harbor and Canal Pilot
Uboat_Snorkel_1_1_0 By The DarkWraith
Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1.4 By TheBeast
Sandman_28054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-24, 06:33 AM   #4
ljekio
Sailor man

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_28054 View Post
Thanks but not quite what I was asking for.

I known how to hit the "Z" key and hit 1 knot on speed.

But there used to be a place in the files where you could "edit" that so that when you hit the "Z", it went to 1 knot.
I have the same question. Why, when you are in quiet motion (55 rpm), when you press Z or F7, the rpm increase to more than 100 (ahead slow instead set speed 1 knots)? I would like to do it right - so that these buttons lead to silent movement.
ljekio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-24, 11:36 AM   #5
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

For what it’s worth, in reality, the lowest RPMs did not mean the most silent speed. Somebody should mod it if they haven’t done so already to make it so say 100 RPM or slightly higher is more quiet. That would be more in line with reality.

It comes down to 2 factors: resonance, and the motor fields. For the first, every component, even of a U-boat, has a resonance . Just like an old truck, sometimes the bumper rattled at slow speed, until you reach a certain speed where the rattling of the bumper ceased, only to start again at a little higher speed. Every boat went through listening tests as part of its workup. And almost without exception, from the data I have seen, the quietest RPM is typically at 100 or just above 100. The other factor that contributes to this is that in order to achieve a very low RPM like 50 or 55, the motor fields need to be at full excitation, and they get very hot. Per the E-motor manual, in order to run like that for any extended period of time required the motors’ blowers to be on to cool them, and that made noise. So these are all factors as to why slow RPM does not mean the most silent operation. Hopefully somebody can take that into consideration if they are trying to create a new mod or modify an existing one.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ

Last edited by derstosstrupp; 05-15-24 at 12:18 PM.
derstosstrupp is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-24, 02:14 PM   #6
ljekio
Sailor man

How does this fit in with the descriptions and clues? Silent rpm ~55 is written everywhere, the player seems to be waiting for these exact parameters, but in fact we have 110 with "ahead slow". For a long time I didn’t understand why destroyers in silent mode could hear me so well, until I read this forum and started set 1 knots manually. But be that as it may, when you press rig for silent running, increasing the speed from a quiet 55 seems to me to be a mistake or a flaw.
Old 05-15-24, 02:31 PM   #7
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljekio View Post
How does this fit in with the descriptions and clues? Silent rpm ~55 is written everywhere, the player seems to be waiting for these exact parameters, but in fact we have 110 with "ahead slow". For a long time I didn’t understand why destroyers in silent mode could hear me so well, until I read this forum and started set 1 knots manually. But be that as it may, when you press rig for silent running, increasing the speed from a quiet 55 seems to me to be a mistake or a flaw.
It’s just that the game incorrectly assumes that the lowest RPM is the quietest, and the AI perceives it that way. It’s a mistake that pervades pretty much all existing U-boat games. Maybe at some point it can be changed.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-24, 05:32 PM   #8
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 437
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
It’s just that the game incorrectly assumes that the lowest RPM is the quietest, and the AI perceives it that way. It’s a mistake that pervades pretty much all existing U-boat games. Maybe at some point it can be changed.
gents,

you know more than you think you know: you walked around the solution.

when a kaleun orders salient routine by pressing the proper key, two things happen:

1. certain pre-programmed, interior noise factors are reduced. we cannot change these.
2. speed is set to slow speed.

#1 is unchangeable and so it will not be discussed here.
#2 is changeable by switching the speed EOT to display knots, and then setting your speed manually that way. you can also change the EOT settings in the Submarine.CFG file in the \data\submarine folder.

so, set silent routine, then set your speed to 1 or somewhere between 1 and 2 kts.

or modify the EOT such that the lowest speed setting will generate speed between 1 and 2 kt.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-24, 04:08 AM   #9
ljekio
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
1. certain pre-programmed, interior noise factors are reduced. we cannot change these.
2. speed is set to slow speed.

or modify the EOT such that the lowest speed setting will generate speed between 1 and 2 kt.

2. This is exactly what I wanted to do, but I didn’t find a way. I will be grateful if you teach me. In Submarine.CFG i seen parameters of switcher: AllStop=0.00
AheadSlow=0.195
AheadOneThird=0.39
I can’t figure out what figure would correspond to 1 knot, or ~55 rpm. But the most important thing is that if I do find the correct value, will F7 also set it to 55 rpm?

upd: I replaced 0.195 with 0.09. No changes, the rpm is the same - 110.

1. that’s the problem, if I’m running at low rpm, but without turning on silent running (so that torpedoes are reloaded, for example), turning on the so-called silent running will increase the speed and they will hear me, unless I demonstrate a cat-like reaction and take over control, returning rpm to its previous value.

Last edited by ljekio; 05-16-24 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-16-24, 04:12 AM   #10
ljekio
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
I understand what you are talking about, but still, we are playing a game with certain rules and everyone wants to leave the battle alive, for this we will have to adapt to the game rules, even if they differ from the real world.
Old 05-16-24, 09:49 AM   #11
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 437
Uploads: 27

Quote:
2. This is exactly what I wanted to do, but I didn’t find a way. I will be grateful if you teach me. In Submarine.CFG i seen parameters of switcher: AllStop=0.00
AheadSlow=0.195
AheadOneThird=0.39
I can’t figure out what figure would correspond to 1 knot, or ~55 rpm. But the most important thing is that if I do find the correct value, will F7 also set it to 55 rpm?

upd: I replaced 0.195 with 0.09. No changes, the rpm is the same - 110.

1. that’s the problem, if I’m running at low rpm, but without turning on silent running (so that torpedoes are reloaded, for example), turning on the so-called silent running will increase the speed and they will hear me, unless I demonstrate a cat-like reaction and take over control, returning rpm to its previous value.
in the CFG file, what is the published, MaxSpeedSubmerged?
that's the speed that is used by the game to calculate RPM.

so, .09 times 8 kts (example maxspeedsubmerged) yields .72 kts.
.72 kts should put your boat's RPM at the lowest possible RPM.

players are not allowed to see or change the RPM vs kts table. it has been a source of frustration since the earliest of SH games.

are you giving the boat sufficient time to decrease speed from the previous speed?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-24, 01:00 PM   #12
ljekio
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
in the CFG file, what is the published, MaxSpeedSubmerged?
that's the speed that is used by the game to calculate RPM.
That is section [ElectricEngineProperties]
I tried changing the values, but nothing changes.
Old 05-17-24, 12:21 PM   #13
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Those kind of changes won't take effect until you start another career. Maybe the next patrol, depending upon how SH5 works as compared to SH4... You could also attempt to find the setting in your Save game folder and maybe get away with directly editing it there.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-24, 04:21 PM   #14
ljekio
Sailor man

one more question - how do two commands work - F7, which combines rig for silent running from EO and silent speed from CE?
Logically, I would expect that the first would reduce noise throughout the sub (repairs, torpedoes, propellers), and the second would affect exclusively the propeller speed, without affecting repairs and torpedoes. But in fact it turns out that it makes no difference which button you press, they will work the same and will suspend operations with torpedoes and repairs. I see this as incorrect behavior.
Where could I be wrong?