SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-10, 10:36 AM   #1
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0
Default F1 2010

Anyone looking forward to the new F1 game coming out?

Quote:
F1 2010 will be released in Europe on 24 September 2010. F1 2010 will feature "the most complicated weather system ever seen in a racing game" which is integral to F1. When rain starts to fall, the track will gradually lose grip, with some areas losing grip faster than others. "Overhanging trees, for example, will shelter the track, while dips and indentations in the tarmac will hold more standing water and provide a greater risk." When the rain stops, a "drying line" will start to appear which will provide more grip which will make it easier to drive. If a car strays from the dry line, the tyres will lose grip and it will be harder to drive. Evolving track will also be featured elsewhere in the game; at the start of a race weekend, the track will be "green" and therefore have less grip, but as the weekend progresses, rubber will be laid down onto the track, increasing the grip.
The game will feature a career mode consisting of either 3, 5 or 7 seasons (depending on the end user's choice). Where players can drive for any team, each having their own objectives – "For example, race for Ferrari and anything other than winning the Driver's and Constructor's Championship would be a failure, while a mere points finish when driving for Lotus would be a huge success." Media interest will also differ depending on whether the player is racing for one of the top teams, or a team at the back of the grid. Impromptu interviews will take place alongside the official interviews following each race.
Research will also feature in F1 2010. Consistently out-race their teammate, and the player will receive new parts, updates and upgrades as they are developed. Their team will develop new parts and updates for their car throughout the season, evolving the car as the season progresses.

I'm definitely intrigued with its weather system.
Old 07-14-10, 11:14 AM   #2
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Finish building your computer and post.

btw F1 2010 looks good.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 03:57 PM   #3
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Due to having to by a new fridge my computer has been temporarily put on hold. After I buy the fridge I'll go back to building the computer.
Old 07-14-10, 04:43 PM   #4
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Yeah, that weather system sounds really good!
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 08:54 PM   #5
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

I hope the weather system is unpredictable. Such as if you get a weather report that it's going to rain, will the rain always come at the correct prediction or if it'll be hit and miss.

If it's hit and miss it'll definitely add a new element of strategy to the game.

Imagine being in first place with 3 laps left when you get a report that rain is on the way. Do you risk losing your position to put on your wet tires, which may give you the advantage when the rain hits, or a disadvantage if the rain doesn't hit. Or do you push it and try to go the last couple laps with your dry tires and risk possibly crashing if it rains.
Old 07-15-10, 03:07 AM   #6
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

Its made by Codemasters.
Old 07-15-10, 04:59 AM   #7
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Yeah... they acquired a studio from Sega though, few years back. At least they have a team that has experience with racing games and a state of the art DX11 engine (DiRT2).

Dynamic weather... wasn't that supposed/promised to be in 10 years ago?

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 05:49 AM   #8
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

GP4 had dynamic weather 10+ years ago. The thing about this game - like most mainstream titles - is that they constantly focus the hype on one aspect (in this case the weather system) and most likely ignore/dumb down the important bits. I am pretty sure this will be another pretty racing game with no real value for those who are into simulations.

Oh, and you cant field a full grid online.
Old 07-15-10, 06:48 AM   #9
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Oh no, I wouldn't hold my breath for a proper sim, but then I don't think that's what they're aiming for.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 07:47 PM   #10
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

From what I've read/watched there will be a realistic mode, but it won't be a true simulation.
For me it's mostly something to hold me off until GT5.
Old 07-16-10, 01:51 AM   #11
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

You know having watched Richard Hammond driving an F1 I'm wondering whether the game would also simulate tire temperature and tire grip based on their temperature which means if you drove too slow you would lose grip and be unable to steer the vehicle.

If so I wouldn't buy it if not can't be bothered

Last edited by Castout; 07-16-10 at 02:22 AM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 07:23 AM   #12
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Apparently there won't be a demo.

http://www.virtualr.net/f1-2010-no-demo-version-coming/
Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 09:37 AM   #13
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
You know having watched Richard Hammond driving an F1 I'm wondering whether the game would also simulate tire temperature and tire grip based on their temperature which means if you drove too slow you would lose grip and be unable to steer the vehicle.

If so I wouldn't buy it if not can't be bothered

I don't know if this will be in the game, but I do remember either reading or watching something in an article saying that when cars have their wet tires on, and the track is drying up, the AI will try and seek out the puddles to keep their tires from overheating or something.