SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-11, 06:34 PM   #1
plank10
Watch

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Looking for a photo of a VIIC

Does anyone have photos of a type VIIC boat with the same paint scheme and configuration as the VIIC's from SH3? I'm looking for one that has the same type of conning tower, no rear AA gun, no snorkel and one deck gun at the front. Here's a photo for reference: http://www.subsim.com/ssr/sh3_1104/o...cs/previe3.jpg

I've looked over the U-boat photo thread but haven't been able to find any.

Any help would be appreciated.
plank10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 09:34 PM   #2
plank10
Watch

Downloads: 9

I think I've found one, but I'm not too sure about the paint scheme as the photo is too bright. Is the the lower section of the hull painted dark blue in this photo?

plank10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 10:50 AM   #3
Von Hilde
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Default depends on the particular boat

the color below the waterline varied as to which type of bottom paint on the boat in question. Standard paint was redlead with a anti sonar surface coat such as Albright which was a shwatzgrau sort of color. Basiclly most boats had a flat black overcoat below the WL. Topside was different for each boat, area of operation, and period of the war. Basiclly , various light grey with dark charcoal decks, which were, teak wood planks over steel. The wood was treated with a diesel oil/coal dust mixture, early in the war ,due to the light color deck would appear brite green just under the surface. This helped alied aircraft make them easy to spot, when just under the surface. The dark decks helped somewhat, to make the boats, harder to spot at periscope or schnorkle depth, when they were lowered. There are several paint schemes for boats of that configguration in the Revell kit, which may be of some help. I think the plans are downloadable, from Revell of Germany. If not Im sure someone here has a set.

Last edited by Von Hilde; 03-28-11 at 11:03 AM.
Von Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote