SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-19-24, 03:12 PM   #1
promitheas
Watch

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
wolf_howl15 SH3 + GWX under steam proton crashing after first patrol loading bar fills up

[SOLUTION AT END OF POST]

Hello guys!

A few days ago I wanted to get back into SH3, so I installed it through steam and got LSH3 set up with Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920 x 1080 Final mod, and it worked pretty good!

However I quickly realised that I want a little more control over what mods I am running, and so decided today to clean install the game and install GWX. I got everything setup (including the 4gb patch which I had to run through wine). After running the patch through wine I got the message that the exe file was patched successfully, however when I run the game using SteamTinkerLaunch as the compatibility layer (it in fact uses proton 9.0), it crashes to desktop. Specifically it crashes a little after the loading bar for my first career's first patrol fills up.

Here is a list of the mods I have enabled as a screenshot:
https://imgur.com/a/jIvcjGy

And here is a screenshot of where it crashes:
https://imgur.com/a/JzZmen9

My system specs are:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700
RAM: 128 GB

If anyone has any insight on what the issue might be, or where I can look for more information (logs etc) please let me know! I will happily provide any extra info anyone asks for.

Many thanks in advance!

P.s. Sorry about the imgur links if thats considered bad practice, I couldnt figure out how to embed them in the post directly.

Edit 1: Training missions work - load quickly
Single missions work - load fairly slowly (~2 mins from when the loading bar fills up to when I get in the mission)
Its just careers that dont. I tried this with 1st and 2nd flotillas

Edit 2 (SOLUTION):
So what ended up working for me was simply making the game run using proton 6.3-8. I did try version 4.3 as well, but that didnt seem to be working that well with the widegui mod I have.

---

Last edited by promitheas; 09-20-24 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Solution
promitheas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-24, 04:16 PM   #2
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 475

Have you activated the 4G patch?

FUBAR295 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-24, 04:30 PM   #3
promitheas
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post
Have you activated the 4G patch?
I ran the patch executable and selected the sh3.exe file placed there by steam. I got the message that it was patched. I hope thats what you mean by activate, I didn't do anything further than that with regards to the sh3.exe file.

Edit 1: I reran the patcher again to make sure and there is a difference between the resultant sh3.exe and sh3.exe.Backup files. I verified this with the diff utility. However it still crashes. If I install SH3 and GWX on a windows PC, patch it and then simply copy the patched sh3.exe file from the windows pc to my Linux pc would it theoretically be OK?

Edit 2: After asking around on linux gaming specific forums it seems that the 4GB patch is unnecessary for linux as steam proton forces games to have the same behaviour anyway. However it still crashes, so it might not be an issue with memory, but something else.

---

Last edited by promitheas; 09-20-24 at 08:48 AM. Reason: New information
Old 09-20-24, 12:14 AM   #4
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 594
Uploads: 30

Hi promitheas SH3 Steam version as always had issues when Moded so ive sent you a PM with SH3 Download link none steam version (dvd install then zipped up) 190 downloads in three years from my Mediafire Site and 7 zip download link

Make a Games Folder on drive C:/ but outside Program Files x86 so windows security doesn't mess with your SH3 campaign save Folder in your documents then Mod SH3 as you like and all should be good Sir delete where applicable dont have Linux.

At the pride runs deep we look after our own
Happy Hunting in the Atlantic.

Last edited by blackswan40; 09-20-24 at 12:48 AM.
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-24, 08:20 AM   #5
promitheas
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi promitheas SH3 Steam version as always had issues when Moded so ive sent you a PM with SH3 Download link none steam version (dvd install then zipped up) 190 downloads in three years from my Mediafire Site and 7 zip download link

Make a Games Folder on drive C:/ but outside Program Files x86 so windows security doesn't mess with your SH3 campaign save Folder in your documents then Mod SH3 as you like and all should be good Sir delete where applicable dont have Linux.

At the pride runs deep we look after our own
Happy Hunting in the Atlantic.
I'm not on a windows pc and either way, since I already own the steam version I prefer to use that. Thanks though

---
Old 09-20-24, 10:51 AM   #6
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Hi Again promitheas have you tried deactivating all your Mods from Jsgme
then see if Steam SH3 stock install and GWX Campaign works if so add mods one by one and test to see what Mod caused the crash you may have to compromise on what Mods you can have and Mods you cant have.

If Steam and stock GWX still crashes then maybe the only solution is the one i suggested ive lost count the number of posts like yours issues with SH3 Steam version with GWX + Mods thats the reason i uploaded my SH3 dvd install to Mediafire to help SH3 players get squared away.

I wish you all the best of luck Sir Kind Regards blackswan40.

Last edited by blackswan40; 09-20-24 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-20-24, 12:02 PM   #7
promitheas
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi Again promitheas have you tried deactivating all your Mods from Jsgme
then see if Steam SH3 stock install and GWX Campaign works if so add mods one by one and test to see what Mod caused the crash you may have to compromise on what Mods you can have and Mods you cant have.

If Steam and stock GWX still crashes then maybe the only solution is the one i suggested ive lost count the number of posts like yours issues with SH3 Steam version with GWX + Mods thats the reason i uploaded my SH3 dvd install to Mediafire to help SH3 players get squared away.

I wish you all the best of luck Sir Kind Regards blackswan40.
Hey, I managed to get it working by selecting an older proton version from my steam compatibility options. I'll be updating my original post with the solution now to hopefully help anyone else that comes across this, but either way thanks for taking the time to write suggestions

---
Old 09-20-24, 01:16 PM   #8
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Hi promitheus thats great news indeed Sir glad your sorted

Tags
crash, gwx, linux, patch, steam