SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-27-13, 09:27 AM   #1
castorp345
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 118
Uploads: 0
[TEC] Here comes the rain again?

Ahoy all,
In my real-time Aleutians campaign I've taken to manually tweaking the scene.dat file (using skwas' amazing 3ditor) to reflect current real-world wx from ship and buoy obs data (courtesy of NOAA ==> http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/radial_sear...0&ot=A&time=12 ), enabled by setting UseCotrollersWeatherData=True in the EnvSim node subsection.
My issue however is that while this works admirably well for wind and visibility conditions, I can't seem to find the controller settings for rain and snow...
sure the rain node parameters are there (randomwind, dropsnumber, etc), but how does one turn the rain on???
Many thanks and fair winds,
hc
castorp345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 12:30 PM   #2
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

The rain node is in the scene dat, towards the bottom. For the most part hard code controls when weather types change, when it rains, etc, although you can adjust the update time under weather controls.

Been awhile since I looked, but seems if weather is set to false, it gets the info from the parameters set in the mission file. If you open campaign file and look in one with notepad, you'll see weather parameters for that group. Still, there are other factors coded that deal when they take place along the groups course.

If a single mission, set weather in the ME.

Oh, there is no snow. You could change the rain texture and make snow, but then it would snow anywhere in the world instead of rain.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Last edited by Armistead; 02-27-13 at 01:00 PM.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 12:42 PM   #3
castorp345
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
The rain node is in the scene dat, towards the bottom. ...
Thanks Armistead.
As I indicated above, I'm already manually adjusting weather parameters to an ongoing save file (as opposed to the initial set of parameters given in the mission files) by setting UseCotrollersWeatherData=True. I'm aware that the rain node is located in scene.dat but none of its variables appear to be a "switch" to turn on/off (true/false) the rain state... unless I'm overlooking something in the node? What tells the sim engine to activate rain from a loaded save file? There must be a trigger for it somewhere...!
cheers,
hc
castorp345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 01:14 PM   #4
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorp345 View Post
Thanks Armistead.
As I indicated above, I'm already manually adjusting weather parameters to an ongoing save file (as opposed to the initial set of parameters given in the mission files) by setting UseCotrollersWeatherData=True. I'm aware that the rain node is located in scene.dat but none of its variables appear to be a "switch" to turn on/off (true/false) the rain state... unless I'm overlooking something in the node? What tells the sim engine to activate rain from a loaded save file? There must be a trigger for it somewhere...!
cheers,
hc
It's hard coded as far as I know as are many weather factors. The most we can do is increase or decrease the chances of weather. To get rain to take place, weather type 3 has to activate and I know of no switch where we can control that. If one exist we can get our hands on, I've never found it......good luck!

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Last edited by Armistead; 02-27-13 at 01:43 PM.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote