SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-27-09, 05:34 AM   #1
Spunky48
Watch

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Entire Career Disappearing...

Sometimes when I save and exit a patrol and come back to it later, the entire career will be gone and I'll have to start over. Does anybody else have this problem? I read some other threads on here about save game corruption, but I didn't find a good solution.
Spunky48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 07:08 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Go into the SH3 folder in C\MyDocs, this is where your careers are stored.

You should see your career folder.....simply add an 'x' to the name and reboot the game.

You can remove the 'x' later if you wish.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 07:09 AM   #3
Rafael
Captain

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky48 View Post
Sometimes when I save and exit a patrol and come back to it later, the entire career will be gone and I'll have to start over. Does anybody else have this problem? I read some other threads on here about save game corruption, but I didn't find a good solution.
In my opinion it has to do (sometimes) with SH3 Commander. If used (loading your saved game), sometimes the file is corrupt.

The only solution is to go to the specific folder e.g. C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII and double click on sh3.exe.

You will be able to continue with your carreer, play the game, save again and try SH3 Commander again.
Rafael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 10:52 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
In my opinion it has to do (sometimes) with SH3 Commander. If used (loading your saved game), sometimes the file is corrupt.

The only solution is to go to the specific folder e.g. C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII and double click on sh3.exe.

You will be able to continue with your carreer, play the game, save again and try SH3 Commander again.
This intermittent saved game phenomena IS NOT connected to SH3 Commander, furthermore there is absolutely no evidence to support such a theory.

If you check the SS archive you will find reports of identical issues dating back over three years by not only SH3 Commander users but also by non users.

I also doubt JScones will appreciate the implied connection

Old 08-27-09, 12:02 PM   #5
Rafael
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
This intermittent saved game phenomena IS NOT connected to SH3 Commander, furthermore there is absolutely no evidence to support such a theory.

If you check the SS archive you will find reports of identical issues dating back over three years by not only SH3 Commander users but also by non users.

I also doubt JScones will appreciate the implied connection
JScones work is great , not my intention to offend here.

However, my experience is different.

Here some advice to someone else: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...55&postcount=7

Maybe it depends the sort of game you're running: GWX, NYGM, LSH or WAC.

For instance, I cannot use SH3 Commander with WAC. I really did everything to make it work. Results CTD's.

Your solution with rename "x" added to the career name is correct. But dear Jim, sometimes, even the "x" don't work.
Old 08-28-09, 07:32 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
JScones work is great , not my intention to offend here.

However, my experience is different.

Here some advice to someone else: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...55&postcount=7

Maybe it depends the sort of game you're running: GWX, NYGM, LSH or WAC.

For instance, I cannot use SH3 Commander with WAC. I really did everything to make it work. Results CTD's.

Your solution with rename "x" added to the career name is correct. But dear Jim, sometimes, even the "x" don't work.
I should have made myself clearer in that my previous post was only in relation to stock/vanilla and GWX installations.

I've yet to be informed the 'x' solution failed to work TBH

The above solution has the added benefit of continuing to allow you to enjoy the additional benefits afforded you by Commander.......loading the game from the root folder via the exe means you lose said benefits.

Old 08-28-09, 09:15 AM   #7
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
FWIW I worked closely with the GWX, NYGM and LSH teams to ensure that their users could use SH3Cmdr with their mods. Accordingly, each one comes with a unique set of config files that the user installs into SH3Cmdr to make their mod and SH3Cmdr 100% compatible.

HanSolo (WAC) never responded to my offers of assistance. Accordingly, if you run WAC and use SH3Cmdr, you need to seek guidance from HanSolo. I stress that any CTDs you get whilst attempting to run SH3Cmdr with WAC are most likely caused by the WAC team not providing updated compatibility files for SH3Cmdr (notwitstanding CTDs caused by incorrect installation etc). That's their call of course, so WAC users need to keep that it mind if indeed WAC hasn't been tested with SH3Cmdr.

Thus your comment above has no relationship at all to your save game issue.

If you're adamant that your save game issue is caused by SH3Cmdr, then I can only recommend that you cease using it.

As an aside, I have never "lost" a career...but I also don't have starforce...I wonder if there's a connection?
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-09, 01:08 PM   #8
Rafael
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
FWIW I worked closely with the GWX, NYGM and LSH teams to ensure that their users could use SH3Cmdr with their mods. Accordingly, each one comes with a unique set of config files that the user installs into SH3Cmdr to make their mod and SH3Cmdr 100% compatible.

HanSolo (WAC) never responded to my offers of assistance. Accordingly, if you run WAC and use SH3Cmdr, you need to seek guidance from HanSolo. I stress that any CTDs you get whilst attempting to run SH3Cmdr with WAC are most likely caused by the WAC team not providing updated compatibility files for SH3Cmdr (notwitstanding CTDs caused by incorrect installation etc). That's their call of course, so WAC users need to keep that it mind if indeed WAC hasn't been tested with SH3Cmdr.

Thus your comment above has no relationship at all to your save game issue.

If you're adamant that your save game issue is caused by SH3Cmdr, then I can only recommend that you cease using it.

As an aside, I have never "lost" a career...but I also don't have starforce...I wonder if there's a connection?
I don't think that if I contact HanSolo he would respond ... you did it and without any results.

Your program works great with GWX, NYGM and LSH3, I have tested them all ...

The CTD's from WAC are not only with SH3 Commander, even when playing the game 'normal' (without MultiSH3) in the correct folder path e.g. C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII (WAC is unfortunately buggy).

Quote:
HanSolo (WAC) never responded to my offers of assistance.
It's a lack of respect to not respond.

Indeed, WAC users should not use SH3 Commander because it will not work.

Keep up the good work, because SH3 Commander is great!

EDIT: and JSGME too!
Old 08-28-09, 01:13 PM   #9
Rafael
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
I've yet to be informed the 'x' solution failed to work TBH
Jim, my last patrol (WAC) loading my last save ... and a CTD. Used the "x" and it worked again. Puzzle?
Old 08-28-09, 02:37 PM   #10
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Jim, my last patrol (WAC) loading my last save ... and a CTD. Used the "x" and it worked again. Puzzle?
As I stated earlier.....in stock/vanilla and GWX it should always work.

Currently I don't have WAC or LSH installed so I've no idea what would and wouldn't work with them.

Old 08-29-09, 02:24 AM   #11
Spunky48
Watch

Downloads: 1

I'm not running any mods. I'll try the 'x' solution, thanks everyone.
Spunky48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 05:01 PM   #12
BellJack95
Bosun

Downloads: 149

I was having the same problem and searched the forum to see if others had encountered this issue. Glad to find this thread. Using GWX 3.0 Gold and SH3 Cmdr with a couple of graphic mods. I added the "x" at the end of my career folder name and launched SH3Cmdr again and was able to find my career save games within SH3. Thanks for the thread and information!
BellJack95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 08:40 AM   #13
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellJack95 View Post
I was having the same problem and searched the forum to see if others had encountered this issue. Glad to find this thread. Using GWX 3.0 Gold and SH3 Cmdr with a couple of graphic mods. I added the "x" at the end of my career folder name and launched SH3Cmdr again and was able to find my career save games within SH3. Thanks for the thread and information!
SINK EM ALL!!