Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-24, 08:32 AM   #1
poveglia
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Old subsimmer returning

Hello everyone. I am returning after several years of being away from subsimming. It's been so long I've forgotten most things about the modding scene for it. As I understand it, Wolves of Steel is a modpack geared more towards beginners? If memory serves, it was a modpack by a fella names Sober that offered the most gritty realistic experience for SH5. Or do I have this all wrong. I'm looking to punish myself with a realistic, challenging experience with a full overhaul. What is my best option?
poveglia is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-24, 08:50 AM   #2
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by poveglia View Post
Hello everyone. I am returning after several years of being away from subsimming. It's been so long I've forgotten most things about the modding scene for it. As I understand it, Wolves of Steel is a modpack geared more towards beginners? If memory serves, it was a modpack by a fella names Sober that offered the most gritty realistic experience for SH5. Or do I have this all wrong. I'm looking to punish myself with a realistic, challenging experience with a full overhaul. What is my best option?
Hey poveglia..
Greetings... all first welcome to the best website Subsim Radio Room...after this silent race....

Yes Sober is still the hardest... but it hasn't been updated for a while..
You have Wolf of Steel 2.25 which is still updated... from time to time...

But if you are looking for difficulty I recommend Wolpack by Onkel Neal you will be delighted I think...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/490920/Wolfpack/
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-24, 10:03 AM   #3
poveglia
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Hey poveglia..
Greetings... all first welcome to the best website Subsim Radio Room...after this silent race....

Yes Sober is still the hardest... but it hasn't been updated for a while..
You have Wolf of Steel 2.25 which is still updated... from time to time...

But if you are looking for difficulty I recommend Wolpack by Onkel Neal you will be delighted I think...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/490920/Wolfpack/

Hey thanks for the reply. Sobers not being updated in a while, does that mean some aspects arent working correctly any longer? I guess what I'm really looking for is the best one for straight realism and authenticity.
Old 05-26-24, 10:03 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

poveglia!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-24, 10:25 AM   #5
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
Hey thanks for the reply. Sobers not being updated in a while, does that mean some aspects arent working correctly any longer? I guess what I'm really looking for is the best one for straight realism and authenticity.
Yes Sober remains the most difficult... but that does not mean that it does not work correctly... it will depend on your personal assembly... the possibilities are numerous according to my first approach...
Personally I haven't tested this one yet... it'll be soon if I find time to create a custom construction maybe this summer we'll see..
THEBERBSTER recommend it to me...Peter never disappoints me so we'll see...
The Sober mod doesn't seem to play much here for a while now...most of the players don't like full hardcore...
Personally I like the challenge..the assistant is not for me..hahaha.
Old 05-26-24, 10:57 AM   #6
poveglia
Watch

Quote:
Yes Sober remains the most difficult... but that does not mean that it does not work correctly... it will depend on your personal assembly... the possibilities are numerous according to my first approach...
Personally I haven't tested this one yet... it'll be soon if I find time to create a custom construction maybe this summer we'll see..
THEBERBSTER recommend it to me...Peter never disappoints me so we'll see...
The Sober mod doesn't seem to play much here for a while now...most of the players don't like full hardcore...
Personally I like the challenge..the assistant is not for me..hahaha.
Oh really? I would think most players here would be really into sobers mod! This is the epicenter for subsimming after all, no?
Old 05-26-24, 11:16 AM   #7
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
Oh really? I would think most players here would be really into sobers mod! This is the epicenter for subsimming after all, no?
you are probably right about Sober... but I see very little feedback on the subject on the forum over the last 3 years... a lot of players seem to be put off by complicated assemblies in modding... afterward everyone does as they do wish...
Old 05-26-24, 11:59 AM   #8
poveglia
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
poveglia!
Old 05-26-24, 12:00 PM   #9
poveglia
Watch

Quote:
you are probably right about Sober... but I see very little feedback on the subject on the forum over the last 3 years... a lot of players seem to be put off by complicated assemblies in modding... afterward everyone does as they do wish...
In your (or everyones) opinion what are the main differences in sobers mods and TWOS in terms of authenticity and realism?
Old 05-26-24, 01:20 PM   #10
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
In your (or everyones) opinion what are the main differences in sobers mods and TWOS in terms of authenticity and realism?
I seem to have explained to you that I haven't played Sober yet... go back up the thread... soon if I have time...
Currently I'm on Wolf of Steel 2.5 a custom build. the Subsim attic mods section... allows you to achieve very good customization in assembly... I invite you to go see SH5 Screenshot & Video feed you will have an overview of my customization work...

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 05-26-24 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-26-24, 02:36 PM   #11
poveglia
Watch

Quote:
I seem to have explained to you that I haven't played Sober yet... go back up the thread... soon if I have time...
Currently I'm on Wolf of Steel 2.5 a custom build. the Subsim attic mods section... allows you to achieve very good customization in assembly... I invite you to go see SH5 Screenshot & Video feed you will have an overview of my customization work...
Oh sorry I must have misunderstood that part of your post.
Old 05-26-24, 03:14 PM   #12
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

THEBERBSTER worked with Sober back a while ago (mid 2017 already??) and made a package. It was re-posted to the Bonus Mods section. In order to download from that section, you do have to become a SubSim donor = Become an Officer in the SUBSIM Navy! = the First Officer level is $5 US. You can spend more if you like, of course... lol - definitely hardcore SH5

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-24, 04:21 PM   #13
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Thank you, Mr. Beanie, for shedding light on the situation to help our friends in these choices...
Greetings to the FOTRSU team, friendly Kal Maximus U669