Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-07, 11:54 AM   #1
JGP
Swabbie

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Problems with XP-Vista & SH2 + PA

I got SH2 when it first came out a few years ago and had a lot of fun with it. Then there was a major computer crash and I lost everything. Long story short, wife and I got a new computer that came with Vista Home Edition. Installed SH2 then PA following Salty Dog's instructions. Installs went great! Thanks Salty.

Here's the problem. When I open either game, I get past all the intro screens just fine, pick the mission I want, training for now, and then it locks up. The screen just goes black. Quite frustrating to say the least. Am I doomed with this or is there a way to work around XP to get everything to work? All help will be very appreciated.

Jim

ps, you can also email me direct. jgpullensr@cox.net
JGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 12:27 PM   #2
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

It *could* have nothing to do with VISTA, though since I have XP installed I can't tell for sure. Anyway, when the screen goes blank you could in fact be seing just the default SH2 screen blanker, i.e. a program run by and part of SH2 that puts a black cover in the screen just to make graphics and transparencies look better in-game. In XP and Win98 you could end it simply with ALT+F4 and then see in notepad on screen a log about a janus error or whatever error that caused the program to end. Try if you can return to desktop and see that log, it would be extremely useful if you could copy and post it here
Old 05-07-07, 01:36 PM   #3
JGP
Swabbie

Default RE: Problems with XP-Vista & SH2 + PA

Tried your suggestion and nothing changes. Both programs are doing the same thing. I can get through all the beginning screens until I choose my mission, get to the "Load Mission" screen and everything goes black. Tried the ALT+F4 and it closed the program but Notepad doesn't come up. I also tried CTL+ALT+DEL and opened the Task Manager. It showed that the screen blanker was running. Closed that and it shut down the program at the same time. Haven't been able to get any kind of an error log to come up.

Before we got this new computer I was running SH2 with Win2K Pro and never had a problem.

Thanks,

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
It *could* have nothing to do with VISTA, though since I have XP installed I can't tell for sure. Anyway, when the screen goes blank you could in fact be seing just the default SH2 screen blanker, i.e. a program run by and part of SH2 that puts a black cover in the screen just to make graphics and transparencies look better in-game. In XP and Win98 you could end it simply with ALT+F4 and then see in notepad on screen a log about a janus error or whatever error that caused the program to end. Try if you can return to desktop and see that log, it would be extremely useful if you could copy and post it here
Old 05-09-07, 03:46 PM   #4
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Have you tried running just SH2 with the official 1.1 patch?

It could be worth checking that....if SH2 runs well, then making PA work is a matter of time, something was probably done wrong in the install and we can track and find it:hmm:
Old 05-09-07, 03:56 PM   #5
JGP
Swabbie

Default RE: Problems with XP-Vista & SH2 + PA

I tried that before I d/l'd PA It was still a no go. BTW, is there any way to check the registry in Win Vista to make sure all the entrys for SHII and PA are gone?

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Have you tried running just SH2 with the official 1.1 patch?

It could be worth checking that....if SH2 runs well, then making PA work is a matter of time, something was probably done wrong in the install and we can track and find it:hmm:
Old 05-10-07, 01:06 AM   #6
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Ouch...if SH2 doesn't work, then PA won't either

I'm sorry JGP, but since I do not have Vista installed I'm afraid I will not be able to help you much
Old 08-27-07, 08:36 PM   #7
Lofar
Swabbie

Downloads: 18
Default Vista

Hi: I am running Vista with Pacific Aces and no problems although when I first tried to run it I got the screen blanker and that was it. I was misssing a dll. MSVBVM50.DLL Not sure what was happening but I went up on the web and downloaded the .dll, installed, configured 1024 and it is working great.
Lofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 08:36 PM   #8
Lofar
Swabbie

Downloads: 18
Default Vista

Hi: I am running Vista with Pacific Aces and no problems although when I first tried to run it I got the screen blanker and that was it. I was misssing a dll. MSVBVM50.DLL Not sure what was happening but I went up on the web and downloaded the .dll, installed, configured 1024 and it is working great.
Lofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 04:49 PM   #9
JGP
Swabbie

RE: Problems with XP-Vista & SH2 + PA

Thanks a bunch. I'll google for the file and get it loaded. BTW, which folder did you place it in or is there a default?

Jim
Old 08-28-07, 05:03 PM   #10
JGP
Swabbie

Default RE: RE: Problems with XP-Vista & SH2 + PA Reply to Thread

Answered my own question. Found it on Microsoft downloads. It's a self-extracting file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGP
Thanks a bunch. I'll google for the file and get it loaded. BTW, which folder did you place it in or is there a default?

Jim