SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-26-24, 02:49 PM   #1
Indrid Cold
Cadet

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Icon5 Sudden torp explosion inside bow?

Hello everyone , delighted to be part of this fascinating community - I am very passionate about history of uboats and their crews during the World War II, and I have been lucky enough to read a certain number of books on this subject (and I will read many more, at the moment I'm halfway through "The Battle of the Atlantic" by Leonce Peillard), as well as also having a passion for simulators and movies.

I have a curiosity to ask you about in Silent Hunter 5 WoS: during the first patrol of the very first part of the game, I managed to intercept the Polish task force as always, more or less in the center of the designated area... but once I approached, always keeping well outside the enemy's optical range and at the same time continuing to follow him at periscope depth, I happened to suffer an explosion in the bow, probably right in the torpedo compartment - once the damage status of the uboat had been checked, I get to know of very serious damage such as launch tubes completely out of order, badly damaged dive planes, large leaks, etc.

My question is: given that it wasn't due to an enemy attack, is it possible that the game with or without mods randomly features torpedo explosions on board? I can't figure something about this in the realism options, where I can say I've turned ON 'dud' torps. Can it be unseen attack from another (polish) sub? But as I've said before I was at periscope depth...
Indrid Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-24, 10:03 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Default Welcome aboard!

Indrid Cold!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-24, 10:22 AM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Gone to Texas. No More Kleptocratic Government for me!
Downloads: 440
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indrid Cold View Post
Hello everyone , delighted to be part of this fascinating community - I am very passionate about history of uboats and their crews during the World War II, and I have been lucky enough to read a certain number of books on this subject (and I will read many more, at the moment I'm halfway through "The Battle of the Atlantic" by Leonce Peillard), as well as also having a passion for simulators and movies.

I have a curiosity to ask you about in Silent Hunter 5 WoS: during the first patrol of the very first part of the game, I managed to intercept the Polish task force as always, more or less in the center of the designated area... but once I approached, always keeping well outside the enemy's optical range and at the same time continuing to follow him at periscope depth, I happened to suffer an explosion in the bow, probably right in the torpedo compartment - once the damage status of the uboat had been checked, I get to know of very serious damage such as launch tubes completely out of order, badly damaged dive planes, large leaks, etc.

My question is: given that it wasn't due to an enemy attack, is it possible that the game with or without mods randomly features torpedo explosions on board? I can't figure something about this in the realism options, where I can say I've turned ON 'dud' torps. Can it be unseen attack from another (polish) sub? But as I've said before I was at periscope depth...
using my experience with SH4, i would suggest that the sudden attack could have been from aircraft....or an enemy sub.
does your boat have any type of radar for aircraft detection? i suspect not because the SH4 german subs do not, although late in the war they get radar detection devices.
does SH5 have AI enemy subs? i have deleted my installation of SH5 otherwise i would look it up myself(lol). look in the Submarine folder and they will be listed there, if they exist within the game.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote