View Single Post
Old 09-27-22, 06:03 PM   #6770
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Frankfurter Rundschau writes:

-----------------

Russian men have attempted to surrender themselves to Ukrainian authorities. A spokesman for Ukrainian military intelligence said that the men being rounded up for the Ukraine war were trying to avoid the front lines by doing so.

Andriy Yusov, spokesman for the Intelligence Directorate of the Ukrainian Defense Ministry, said Monday, (Sept. 26), on state television that recently mobilized Russians had contacted a hotline set up by Ukrainian security services. They had asked to surrender, Ukrainska Pravda reported.
Russia: Putin announces compulsory military service on television

"Now there are many calls to the hotline from newly mobilized Russians or even those who have not yet been mobilized," Yuzov said during the broadcast, according to Pravda. "They call and ask, 'If I am mobilized, what should I do, what should I do, how should I surrender?'"

After Ukrainian forces successfully retook parts of the country in a counteroffensive this month, Vladimir Putin announced a partial draft in a televised address last week. He said the draft would apply to Russian citizens in the military reserve or those who have served in the armed forces and have "certain military specializations and relevant experience."

Yuzov said Russia has already exhausted all available conscripts in the Donetsk and Luhansk administrative districts. Russians were not motivated to fight in Ukraine, and those who had been mobilized or had yet to be mobilized were calling the Ukrainian hotline, Yuzov said. The British Ministry of Defense said Monday in its report on the war that the mobilized men are arriving at bases as Russia now faces an "administrative and logistical challenge to train the troops."

"The shortage of military trainers and the haste with which Russia has begun mobilization suggest that many of the drafted troops will go to the front lines with minimal preparation," the ministry said. "They are likely to suffer a high rate of attrition."
----------------