The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukka81 View Post
Really nice to hear that !

Make subsims great again

And i too agree, stay in cold war for now. Lots of cool stuff and systems are not "too good" no god eye sensors etc.. Really makes fun gameplay.
I'm loving the cold war too, but there's no denying the flexibility of what has been created here. From modern day (I mean maybe some sensors like WAA and newer weapons systems may be difficult to replicate but its not going to be inconceivable to see the likes of the Virginia and Seawolf classes in this game, ditto with an Akula or even the new Severodvinsk) as far back as the early cold-war (Cuban Missile Crisis anyone?) with even WW2 not that far-fetched in terms of what this game is capable of. Very content with what's been done so far though, and I agree that probably a Soviet Campaign would be the next logical step.

Also, the more I play this game, the more I understand and begin to appreciate some of the choices made by the devs. There is no-auto waypoint system because you have to drive the sub yourself. While this may seem tedious, other games that had much more "automatic" controls gave you a myriad of other things to do (the sophisticated sonar simulation in SC/DW, or one of the many station or map screens in the Silent Hunter series) while the AI was driving the boat for you. All that being said, I think this game carves out a very nice niche for itself, I'm sure I can't speak for everyone but I'm inclined to believe that its realistic ENOUGH so that the majority of the sim folks won't miss it, yet the learning curve isn't too steep as to turn people off (i.e. spending 3+ hours learning sonar and TMA in SC/DW) so it appeals to a wider audience. It does all this without getting into "arcade" territory (i.e. featuring history or historical platforms as a back-drop just to get you interested with little/no correlation in realism or capabilities).

I was quite looking forward to this but so far it has surpassed all expectations and given me the cold war sub game I've been waiting for for years!