View Single Post
Old 03-12-22, 03:29 PM   #4449
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15 Re: Reusing a SH4 copy, when doing an upgrade from 1 older verion to a newer one...

Forgive the length, but... wanted to try & make this as clear & concise, as is humanly... possible. Soooo... without further ado...

Ahoy, torpex77... & any others who may wish to do this...

Per My post reply to your query on the FotRS-U thread (#4441, I believe... ), on reactivating from a SH4 copy from 1 version of FotRS to a newer update...

On the info I gave, outlining the ability to reuse a copy that was previously used for an older version, I mentioned of in the saves folder, of deleting files in it all but 2 or 3.

Have returned to where I was able to go into 1 of several save folders that I have set up for the multitude of SH4 mod versions I have.

Can definitively state, that there is 3 .cfg files that can be kept.

Have highlighted those ones to keep whilst, deleting the rest & will outline the whole process, so you have a blueprint to work with, should you find the need... arise to do thusly, again in the near or far... future.

1st off, is of course, knowing the exact save folder you want to do this in... that is, of paramount importance... can't stress that enough.

Once that folder is known, is a simple matter of going into it & deleting from it, all the files in each of the folders, as shown in the attached pic to follow. Keeping only the 3 that are... highlighted, as seen in that pic :

As you can see, those are the ones, you'll want to keep.

They do NOT have anything to do with modifications to the SH4 copy, that will be overwritten by the activation of the mods needed to update to the version of FotRS you'll want to go to... (or any other mod set, for that matter, as this can be done with any mega mod set, pertaining to SH4 that you'll want to roll with, either... )

These files, are directly related to control of the screen rez, the TC & the in game graphics, that were they deleted, you would have to then redo. This step, as outlined, saves you... from having to go through doing all that... again.

All files, otherwise, can be deleted... safely & efficiently, even those inside the folders... thereby leaving the folders, as well... that wiping out the entire save folder, would then also would have to be reset back up with running the whole SH4 set up.

Therefore... doing all this, this way, saves a bit of time... not much, granted but... it is useful... at least from My perspective, at any rate.

I hope that this outline & it's execution explanation, is found to be of use, as always... I hope, that you find it useful.

Fair winds, smooth seas &... Good huntin', skipper.!

M. M.