Thread: 1/700 subs?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-07, 09:20 AM   #7
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thought you might want to see this, this in an image of my 1:700 Oyashio halfway through the stages of some paint experimentation for the purposes of my Akula model. Since the Oyashio was a cheap kit, I decided to use it as a guinea pig for an experiment. I intend to place my larger 1:350 Akula in a diorama with it on the surface, but in a case with the portion that is underwater also visible, so I'll need to paint the lighting on it to make it look like it is getting refracted light through the water. To do this I a tried various versions of paint mixes on scrap material, and I've now got one that seems to be okay, it consists of a base coat of black, cut back then dry brushed with a mid grey, then ripple light details are painted in two other grey tones and the thing then gets a translucent blue varnish (this is the stage in the photograph), then the varnish gets cut back a little, some translucent green is added, then it gets a matt varnish to remove the shine from the gloss of the blue and green varnishes. sort of tricky to see on this shot because the finish is not fully completed and is still glossy, but you can get the general idea:

Chock