View Single Post
Old 05-18-13, 04:31 PM   #9
Redmane
Torpedoman

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Goose View Post
That's the resolution I use (1920x1080) and have noted a very slight "squashed" look as you noted. Have you any data which supports that look effects your range calculations during manual targeting or anything else for that matter?

Personally, I have not compared my periscope observation with my sonar/navigation map yardage to see how much if any the periscope obs are off. I may check that out this weekend. Thanks.
Well, I don't think the "squashing" of the image on your display will cause any problems with accuracy regarding range or anything like that. So far as I'm aware, its simply an aesthetic preference whether or not you choose to keep the setting as is or use one that won't produce a distortion of the image. One of the things that caused me to look for an aspect ratio my monitor would properly display was the fact that I always use the tool helpers on my nav map for plotting, and the compass that shows up for your ruler tool could be difficult to read and accurately use due to the distortion. Other than that, I cant think of why a stadimeter range or even a telemeter estimate of range would be off, since the distortion is uniform and applies only to the display of the image, not to the actual dimensions of things observed.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bullet-proof. -V
Redmane is offline   Reply With Quote