View Single Post
Old 04-22-23, 07:38 AM   #5386
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
@propbeanie thanks for the tips. Yeah, it seems by exiting game and relaunching, I can reset those issues. Also I have the following observations/suggestions:

1. I don't think it's historical accurate that S-class can use Mk14 torpedoes. The weapon was too long for their tubes.

2. I remember for some of the larger boats such as Tambor class, you can access deck, conic tower and command room. However, with the interior mod, the quick key command for conic tower is disabled. You can still access it but you just need manually move there. (is that correct?)

3. In Propoise class, there is radio overhead that you can use. But I could find similar radio in Tambor any more.

4. On mission 2 of my Asiatic Fleet campaign, I was instructed to go to an area and wait for orders. Once I get there, I was told simply to sink ships. I wondered around for a few days but couldn't find any ships. I traveled around a bit and finally found a Nikita Maru and sank it, but the mission still shows incomplete. What can I do to complete the mission?
As for 1., you have found another "Easter Egg", courtesy the SH4 devs. For whatever reason, the game cannot tell the difference between the two types of torpedo tubes, and loads the first-named torpedo in the Weapons file. Since we don't want full load-outs of Mark 10s on the fleetboats, the Mark 14 is named first. Hence, when you empty your S-Boat's stores and then come back in, the "automatic load" will pull the Mark 14s from "inventory". If instead you stop somewhere (including your home port), and re-stock your stores yourself, BEFORE docking, it will replace your torpedoes with what you had when you left originally. This can have an advantage later when you have a fleeboat and purchase a custom set of torpedoes, and want to keep that same loadout, just restock before docking, and you'll have the same load-out when you go to leave for your next assignment. But definitely strange behavior to be aware of.

#2 is necessary for the functionality of the "free travel" from compartment to compartment, and therefore, the hot keys and buttons do not function the same. The interior is the whole interior. You are correct in your assumption that you do have to move there. Like so many aspects of the game, the devs only coded in one or two ways to do things, either/or, and not both...

As for #3, each of the boats, especially with vickers03's Interiors are different, and the radio will be found in different places. For some of the boats, you might have to use the shortcut keys, or the button to access the radio, since the "radio room" (not at all accurate anyway) was removed when the Officer's Country portion of the Interiors was built. On most of the fleetboats, the radio room was right behind the control room, and they could pipe the audio into the MC1 throughout the boat. That room is not modeled yet in the Interiors mod, so on the Tambor (and most of the boats), go into the Officer's Mess, and above the cabinets on the after bulkhead in there, to the left (oops! sorry - "starboard" side), is the radio for mouse manipulation. For the menu buttons, click on the "movie camera" button, and then on the shortwave radio button. In both cases, the radio is a little "box" in the lower-right of a map image that will display.

#4 is another unexplained mysteries of the game... almost like they wrote the manual for the game before they knew what the game could (or could not) do. Besides that, it was two different teams that apparently did not have each other's phone numbers to talk and find out what the other had... We call those "Sink" missions, since they are named like "Sink Sulu Sea 01" and the like. In any case, they are all the same in that you are instructed to proceed immediately to a given area. Once you get close to the marking "star", you then receive the "Sink all you can find. Skipper has autonomy", or similar. What the game insinuates is "sink anything anywhere", so you are free to roam about the cabin - er, world. Where ever you can find a ship, you can go and sink them. The stock game had it to where you had to sink 10,000 tons. In FotRSU, that figure for the most part is 5,000 tons. If the ship you sank is a Nittoku Maru, it is 6450 tons, so you may have found one of the few missions still set to 10,000 tons to sink, so you have to sink at least one more ship to fulfill the requirements. The part I don't much like about the Sink missions, is that you have to fulfill its requirements before you can radio in a Status Update and get another assignment, but that is the "shakes" of the game. Go find another target of at least 3550 tons - IF you want to fulfill the Objective. If by chance, it still does not fulfill, look at where the original assignment star was, and let us know, so we can track the bugger down, please!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote