View Single Post
Old 01-07-22, 02:24 AM   #37
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetere View Post
I am a brand new player to the game and had my first run in with a destroyer. Four hours later, after searching the internet for an answer and trying everything I came across, I am now dead and quitting this game unless I get this explained to me. There is absolutely nothing enjoyable about having a destroyer circle you for four hours with there being nothing able to be done about it.

Welcome to SH (be it 3,4,or 5) with mods lol. Thing is, real depth charge attacks often lasted in excess of four hours, sometimes days on end, to the point sub captains have to make the decision to surface and scuttle the boat or go out fighting. Part of the fun and challenge of the sim, is enduring the attack and just barely escaping. Should you escape and navigate the learning curve. SH 3/4/5 out of box is a light simulation, but with most mods it becomes simulation, not a shallow arcade game. Yes, a destroyer circling for hours making runs is part of the fun of the sim, the challenge. However, there are things you can do about this. Main thing, is do not give up, do not quit.

Being a simulation, you can't just go in blazing, you have to think, attack at right time and place. Shallow depths always upp the danger factor and should be avoided.

Find thermal layers, go as deep as possible, run silent, change course after each depth charge attack, never maintain same course, use bursts of speed when they are passing overhead so depth charges do not fall right on top of you. Of course have to monitor battery levels. Never attack unless have full battery charge, plenty of fresh air in boat, compressed air etc.

Navigate the learning curve and you will find you will learn the tactics used by AI. However, things, as they should, get very difficult as war goes on, thus the high uboat casualty rate. Good luck, don't give up.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote