View Single Post
Old 01-04-22, 11:59 AM   #31
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
I remember reading something here. It was a veteran German U-Boot's crew who was testing SH3 (maybe with GWX). When he was asked if it was a realistic game, he answered : "It was so much easier in reality" ! (for the U-Boot)...

But I guess it might be extremly hard to create a good simulation, like creating a perfect 3D model of a destroyer : spending 1000 triangles to model a single porthole, and modeling every rivets...

But here is a list of what is badly missing : https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=251099
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post
That was Jurgen Oesten who was the technical consultant on the game. He said that in an interview, it was available at one time one time on Youtube.

I found that an interesting comment.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
It's always a good idea to research the meaning of actual participant comments vs. taking them at face value.
I.e., with his, what did he think was easier ? Controlling the boat, issuing orders, combat, what ?
Plus, another person might have thought it was harder, i.e.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post
Agreed, as he never elaborated on the comment in the interview, as I recollect. I kind of feel that it was the computer interface and doing everything yourself as opposed to having a crew working with and for you in real time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
That'd be my bet too. But who knows.
Methinks his wallet knows...either in Marks, Euros or $'s which makes his 'first person-primary history source' opinion 40 years on slightly suspect when promoting a commercial endeavor such as a computer game;... but I did enjoy the interviews with Erich Topp in SH II though.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-04-22 at 12:11 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote