View Single Post
Old 10-26-21, 07:52 PM   #48
RetroGamer
Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Exclamation 3Dfx Voodoo2 cards in SLI Mode

This afternoon, my second Voodoo2 card eBay purchase arrived. I eagerly plugged it in to test it and….nothing. It wasn’t even detected by the PC.

I tried a different PCI slot and the desktop PC wouldn’t even boot.

I then reinstalled it in the original slot that I’d tried the first time and it worked! The only explanation I have is that the card probably hadn’t been used in over 20 years and the capacitors or other parts just needed to charge and wake up a bit. I’m not sure.

I then connected and installed both Voodoo2cards in SLI mode and ran the 3DMark2000 benchmark, then 3DMark99 max and finally 3DMark2001. Guess what?

There was ZERO performance increase, LOl!!!!

The reported memory shows it’s double what it was and the voodoo display software shows the memory has doubled, but aside from that, there is no difference….I do find that a little funny even tho I’m a bit disappointed.

M1TP2 runs and looks great but it was great before the install.

Maybe I need to try different drivers.

Anyway - it was a fun experiment for M1TP2 and me.

UPDATE:

Further research indicates I am likely using the wrong drivers and wrong benchmark programs. For the purposes of getting the most out of M1TP2, I’m going to try different Voodoo2 drivers.

http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/voodoo2.htm

The game looks good now, it’s just the frame rate could be improved.

The jerkiness be improved by my installing one of the M1TP2 patches. Once I get this thing smoothed out, back to reports and hopefully media of gameplay!

Last edited by RetroGamer; 10-26-21 at 10:42 PM.
RetroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote