View Single Post
Old 09-22-14, 08:59 PM   #1131
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

You guys know your history!

Interesting thing I found out about these ships while researching the mod: they shared a serious design flaw with the ocean liner "Lusitania". The designers added a centerline bulkhead from front to back, basically splitting the interior in two - this was intended to keep flooding on one side of the ship from affecting the other side.

Apparently, nobody bothered to think about how dangerous this would be in the event of a severe list. This feature trapped water on one side of the cruisers when they were torpedoed, and caused "Aboukir", "Cressy", and "Hogue" to capsize or tilt during the action on September 22, 1914.

Once again, this was repeated when "Lusitania" sank in 1915 - the heavy list kept many of the lifeboats from being lowered.

HMS "Hogue" has the dual ID bands on the 1st and 4th funnels - I'm not sure if the ships had funnel markings when sunk, or if they had all been painted out to a solid grey.

I already did anchor chains and anchors for the model but didn't like them - I will revise this week.

Last edited by iambecomelife; 09-23-14 at 07:04 PM.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote