View Single Post
Old 01-02-23, 09:59 PM   #5231
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

Since I noticed you had the Argonaut career, I thought I would put some feedback from what I had.

Started career with Argonaut patrolling off Midway just prior to the Pearl Harbor attack. Went to Tokyo after cleared of objective near Midway.

Sunk several ships before having to return to Pearl because of damage. Don't let the two 6"/53cal guns get the better of you because you think you can take on a Cargo-Passenger Ship thinking it's a Passenger-Cargo ship. If it wasn't for the two CANNON (as opposed to the 3"/50cal) I would've had to restart the career right there and then.

It took quite a few rounds, but I was 500 yds away so it was fairly quick work. Main take-away: verify the ID of what you're trying to torpedo and make sure it won't shoot back!

Sortied on second patrol and no issues. Got back to Pearl instead of refit/rearm at Midway because I just wanted to finish. Shot all torpedoes with 1/2 of them duds. Took me a while to realize it's supposed to be that way with this mod!

Third patrol okay without any issues tech-wise other than I thought there was an AI glitch on the way back to refuel at Midway. Every time I was surfaced in the daytime in the middle of nowhere about 500nm west of Midway I'd be getting attacked by single engine aircraft. Didn't make sense. They even caused enough damage that I almost ended the thing right there and then.

After half a dozen attacks from 0700 to about 1500 I realized it was 4 June 1942. That and the message saying Midway was getting bombed. Nice touch! So I decided to not get angry at a "glitch" and went to Pearl to finish the patrol without stopping at Midway.

Got offered a new boat then asked for a transfer to the Asiatic Fleet before the "get back to Pearl by 15 July" message went into effect, so I never got to do the Makin Island Raid in August. I'll let you know how the Tambor (SS-198) works out.

So far I haven't found any issues with running this mod, so as time goes on and I get further along I'll report any issues I may have. I especially like the "sweating" I would see on the Argonaut's dials. At least I think it was the Argonaut. It may have been the Cachalot career I ended up having to trash since I updated the mods and the readme said a fresh install of the game's save folder was needed. In any case, I never had issues with the sweating gauges when I had them.

My rig:

Asus G72 with 16GB RAM
Intel CORE processor (dual-core at 1.73 GHz)
ATI Mobility Radeon 5800 Series with 1GB RAM (max video is 4.8GB with 3.8GB shared from regular RAM)
WD SSD for the hard drive.
Windows 7 - 64-bit

This is a 12-year old rig, so Intel hadn't even started numbering their processors yet. It still manages to work well, however. Not sure if you guys had something this old in mind when designing, but so far so good. As long as I don't get a Windows-10 requirement, I'm okay with most SH4 mods. After all, the computer is still newer than the game.

It's a pitty most SH3 stuff is now Win-10 since I used to have SH3 (steam) installed with the LSH3-2015 mod a few years ago. Can't run the new setup or the OneAlex because of the Win-10 requirements on the new stuff. Same with the video requirements.

Since I also like the "other side" of the game, the next to check will be KSD2: Aces, but that's for down the road a bit. I'll enjoy the Fleet Boats for a while longer before I do anything on that side again. From what I've seen of the thing (as of today with the 1.4.2 version, anyway), I should be able to run it wihout any issues.

Overall, this is the best mod I've seen for this game so far (US side, that is). The only thing I would add is that I would like to have the option to use the more "realistic" looking TDC and torpedo controls I've seen in many videos. Not sure if their TMO, RFB, RSRD, or a combination thereof. The main difference is that the bottom-right control for the tubes doesn't have the green buttons. Instead it has lit-up text. There are other things here and there that look more "realistic" to me, but it may just be a matter of taste. If you guys know what I'm talking about -- or what files I could copy over from the respective addon to place with JSGME in here -- please let me know.

I was also thinking of using JimiMadrid's dials, but I think I read somewhere that they're included in FotRSU 1.8 already. Am I correct on that or should I download and add them? I ask because someone said his torpedo textures are already being used, and from what I've seen they are awesome.

Regards,

ElCid97

PS: Forgive me if some of this is already in a readme somewhere. I've gone through most of them already, but I still have a few more to go.
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote