View Single Post
Old 12-14-07, 11:05 AM   #1545
beartooth91
Loader

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default USS Gudgeon 1st War Patrol

I'm playing patch 1.3, TM-1.6.5, with a modded version of RSRDC v110.
Took Gudgeon on her 1st war patrol 8 DEC1941. Destination was the E China Sea. Departed Pearl and topped off at Midway a couple of days later, then headed for the patrol area. 2 nights out of Midway, ran smack dab right into the Japanese task force headed for Wake. Spotted a Fubuki class destroyer and a Maya class cruiser. By luck, I was ahead of the group and slightly to the east. Got the Maya's base course and made an approach on the surface. As I was getting into position, the Fubuki veered towards me. Dove to 275' then popped up to PD approx 10 minutes later. There, in my periscope was a Hiryu class carrier just to the SW. Best range at firing time was around 1800 yds. For some reason, they were only making about 10 knots. Set torps for low speed and shot all 6 bow tubes. Ahead full, hard to port, to bring the stern tubes to bare. Shot 2 stern tubes. I hit her with 5 or 6 torpedos. Listing heavily to port when the Fubuki drove me under. Took her down to 275' and rigged for silent running. On the way down, got the message "She's going down". To quote Kossler "That baby sank".
Evaded to the west for a few hours, surfaced and tried to pursue along the TF's base course at flank speed, but, was forced under by several air craft and no advanced warning. Hmm....what's going on with our SD radar. Finally broke off and headed towards the patrol area. A couple of days later, nearing Iwo Jima, we were surprised again by a patrol plane - no advance radar warning. Hard to port and dove. The plane dropped a bomb which exploded just to port, damaging the deck gun and causing heavy leaking. So, returned to Pearl and was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal. As I was browsing my boat's systems at Pearl, noticed we had no SD radar on board ! Finally figured out I had to use some my new reknown to get one installed. Every other boat I've had already had one in. Next patrol assignment is just to the south of Tokyo Bay.
beartooth91 is offline   Reply With Quote