View Single Post
Old 09-13-22, 07:11 AM   #6
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimmo55 View Post
Hi Derstosstrupp, thanks for the first of the series: really interesting. You must have spent years looking at this subject to attain that level of SME.

I have a question if it is not outside scope: it’s not about systems per se, rather about the construction of the U boot. I have always wondered what was the decking used externally of a type VIIc U boot? Can’t determine it; sources are generally silent on it, although I have seen suggestions it was wood? I mean the top decking you’d walk around on to man the gun or haul in berthing ropes, etc. In photos, just can’t tell: it looks metal and not wood planking, and all aftermarket upscale kits for model U boots are done not in wooden planking, but metal.

So, my question is, once and for all, what was the outer decking made of: wood planking or metal sheet? Or both? And if wood, was it painted and does that make it look like metal?

Thank you.

Apoll
Thanks for the kind words! Yes indeed, it was made of teak and pine, painted black.

From the building regulations:
“ (e) Deck planking. The upper deck shall be fitted with planks of German pine 80 mm wide and 35 mm thick, laid at intervals of about 20 mm. Planks of teak, if available, shall be provided around the bollard and capstan head and under the cleats. If planks are laid on an iron thickness, they shall be taken 100 mm wide and laid tightly. Planks shall be fastened to the joists by 10 mm galvanized wood deck screws. Slots shall be cut in larger numbers near the vents, but all openings shall be avoided immediately above the vents. Galvanized iron rails are to be placed on deck around the capstan head to prevent the crew from slipping out of the capstan head during the
operating the capstan. The necessary hatches for torpedo entry, companionway hatches, stowage spaces, and for other below-deck arrangements are to be provided.”

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ

Last edited by derstosstrupp; 09-13-22 at 07:27 AM.
derstosstrupp is online   Reply With Quote