View Single Post
Old 01-08-23, 05:39 PM   #9
Hooston
Soundman

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default GWX works fine on fedora linux PC using wine

The title says it all. I've been running GWX gold for a few years and it is no more or less stable than running on windows. I also got LSH running a few years back on a more modern laptop. i didn't have to do anything clever with the set up, just don't allow the desktop to decorate the windows and override d3d9.dll to use the local copy rather than the one provided by wine (proton).

Crashing after a short period smells of the 32bit 4Gb memory address limit to me. A big clue is if the training missions run fine but the campaign dies a short way in. Make sure you have either the 4Gb patch or, better, the Hsie patch, installed. Maybe have a look at the onealex version of GWX which is all patched up and ready to go.

Other possible problem is if there is some security getting in the way that stops SH3 writing somewhere it needs to. Wine is a bit dumb about allowing multiple users to access applications and expects each user to have their own installation, I'm not sure what proton does about this.

Last edited by Hooston; 01-08-23 at 05:54 PM.
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote