Thread: The Hunter
View Single Post
Old 01-23-23, 11:44 AM   #405
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I did indeed add two more DLC to my CotW install, the tents and blinds, and the ATV. The tent is handy on long hunts, or if real life suddenly intervenes, you can plop down a save point right here. Or swap loadout, buy ammo, whatever. The problem is it weighs 6 (kilos, pounds, whatever it is) and that limits other stuff you can carry and still keep under the "make more noise and be more visible" threshold.

This wouldn't be a big deal if the rangefinder sight for my bow wasn't so fookin' heavy. It weighs four times what a rifle scope does. Why?

I'm having a good time with Call of the Wild. I prefer the hunting sim in Way of the Hunter if I'm honest. It's just closer to what I want out of a hunting game when out in the field, tracking game, taking shots. But if I set that aside, the rest of Call of the Wild expands on what WotH is.

-- Maps/Reserves. No contest here. I can find little fault in the way the reserves in either game are done. Beautiful, huge, diverse. But Call of the Wild has so many more to choose from. Admittedly, some are not that much of a switch, like New England, Layton Lake District and Hirschfelden aren't that much different really. But they are still different maps, with some variation in populated game, and more so in Europe of course.

And while CotW does have all of these maps to hunt, they are individual DLC at 8 bucks a pop. Two reserves are included in the base game, and there are ten as DLC. Some gear is also behind these DLC paywalls, like the muzzleloader and .300 Win Mag rifle.

-- Animals. Again, CotW is a clear winner here in terms of sheer variety with more than 80 unique animal species to hunt. By comparison, WotH is around 20. Big difference, but expect that gap to close over time.

But WotH hits back when considering animal behavior and animations. It is much more convincing in this game than CotW. I've got hunting experience, and one spot Way of the Hunter is off a bit is how closely the animal herds stand and travel together. They should be more spaced out. I also find the way birds flush to be rather unconvincing in Way of the Hunter and I hope the devs look at these two areas to fine tune otherwise impressive animal behavior modeling.

-- Weapons and gear. Yeah, Way of the Hunter suffers here too. I might expect that this gap too will close over time. But it's not a given. Bows, crossbows and handguns give Call of the Wild diversity that Way of the Hunter cannot match. The bow hunting is fun too.

It's been out a lot longer, and like mentioned some of this kit is locked behind paywalls. It remains to be seen how WotH will handle expansion, but so far what's been added has been done for 'free'. And it's not just weapons, but callers, scents, blinds and stands and more that Call of the Wild has in abundance.

-- The hunting. This is what it's all about right? I have to give the nod to Way of the Hunter. It just feels more realistic to me. The stalking, animal behavior and shooting feels more like actual hunting. But when you step back and consider all the other stuff that surrounds it -- like the aforementioned maps, animal types, kit and gear -- the two games round out in about the same spot for me. If Way of the Hunter ever approaches Call of the Wild for sheer content, I think the choice between the two will be clear for me.

But that's a big if, and the way things stand right now I see plenty to like from both games.