Thread: The Hunter
View Single Post
Old 01-21-23, 08:57 AM   #401
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Thanks. It's odd that so many weapons would have a 150m effective range, but it's a game after all.

Those links you provided were helpful. I referred to the googledoc showing the animal class per map with the various cartridges and which class they are meant for several times during last night's session. Very useful.

I hunted Silver Ridge Peaks for a while, then swapped over to Layton Lakes to check out a new one. With the DLC I bought I have a number of free weapons, which cuts out the grind for new guns. Pricing is steep compared to the rate at which you earn money, so I could see how grindy it probably was at release. But these weapon packs put paid to that. .308, .223, ,22, ,30-06, the drilling rifle, bows, a crossbow and lots more are 'free' with the DLC, which of course means real money instead of in-game currency. Which in turn gives me a lot more freedom to chose a loadout and hunt the maps and eliminates the early-game gun progression I'd otherwise go through.

My impression of Call of the Wild improved considerably in session two. The safari theme park vibe I got at the start has receded. Maybe those animals were just placed in such a way so that a new player newly spawned felt the world teeming with game, which it is, but this way you can see it right from the off.

It looks fantastic, especially in a wide-view sense. At the closest ranges it shows it's age I think, but when you take in the greater vistas it is simply beautiful. The render ranges for stuff like vegetation and animals is rather low which hurts it, but this game had to run on PS4 and X Box six years ago so I get it. Sunlight and shadow are nicely done. Fog and rain.

One of the things I felt lacking when playing Way of the Hunter was statistics. And while Call of the Wild isn't extensive, it does track and display more detail from the player's hunting career which I like.

I bought the Master Hunter edition because I thought it had everything the Seasoned Hunter edition does, plus more reserves maps. But I failed to notice only Seasoned Hunter has the tents DLC, which I think I I should get. There's a lot of DLC for this game.