View Single Post
Old 01-30-22, 04:41 PM   #9
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
lol - the subs in SH4 are like the US M1A2 Abrams tank with TUSK armour protection on them... lol
I agree, propbeanie - in this way SH4 was a step backward from Silent Hunter 2.

I remember in Pacific Aces I was sunk by a deck-gun armed tanker with about 2 shots, which is accurate; just a couple 4-5" gun rounds would have destroyed a submarine's pressure hull.

Maybe the developers at Ubisoft were trying to appeal to casual players, who wanted to fight warships on the surface (which I did for fun when SH3/4 first came out). Although I never did it in my "serious" career mode gaming - when I play career I like using realistic tactics.

Yet another thing to work on in my WWI mod! I want enemy big guns of 3-4 inches and more in game to pretty much always one-shot mission kill your sub + force return to base, and sink it completely with about 4-5 hits. Torpedoes and mines should be one shot kill about 90% of the time. I know of 2 WW1 submarines that survived mine hits, but they were exceptions.

Machine guns and Pom-Poms of up to maybe 37mm and 40mm shouldn't destroy the pressure hull quickly, but cause lots of crew casualties in my opinion. Any thoughts?
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote