Old 01-29-22, 04:53 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
lol I know, always bothered me. I believe I found the balance in TMO, they are not tanks, but not the delicate little machines either. I mean US subs were well built as you know, came home beat to hell many times. Rugged, reminds me of the way naval aircraft like the F4F, F6F, TBF were constructed. Basically seems the devs figured since they didn't give AI torpedoes, player was only likely to be hit by their own in a circular run which is rare, so they just did not bother to rectify the damage model so player sub takes proper damage from torpedo hits.

I've toyed with it some, but if increase torpedo power , they are way too effective against other targets, then if increase/decrease payer sub armor, either like even more of a tank. This is first time I've managed to get hit by AI sub torpedo, in testing etc so now I know. I mean, it was pretty effective, it wrecked my boat, I considered myself as sunk and started another career.

I may look at the torpedoes subs use and increase their power slightly, so one hit will sink the sub, send hull damage to 100, because I know some will be tempted to limp back home lol. I wish the player sub model included a large explosion when a torpedo hits.

Still, pretty cool to finally see it happen (so I know they can in fact hit something lol) as had only had close calls before, glad its rare though, as should be. I was careful when I placed the submerged subs, the number of them etc.

Something I'd like to get added to the nav tools bar, if possible, is alter the Search Pattern Function, to see a zig zag pattern, for the long transits. This would simulate a device subs had, a mechanism with a motor attached to helm (believe came into service in 1943.1944) which powered the ships wheel, as constant helming/zigging over long period would not be practical for a human for more than few minutes would be exhausted in short time.

Believe this is needed now since submerged AI subs can torpedo you. I am waiting for the angry or shocked message one day when someone loses their excellent career because they were torpedoed by enemy sub lol. Level of challenge and immersion it brings to the sim, love it.
Know that with (not sure if it was with stock... or a particular mod set, 1 or the other, at any rate... ) that there was like... 4 preset options for search patterns.

1 that went upwards in a back & forth laddered search, the 2nd was like.. a downwards version of the 1st... a starting at dead center & working outwards in a circular pattern, & the 4th was a x marks the spot type search pattern. As I can recall of...

It'd be nice to have those options for search patterns back... rather than just 1... or having to see of taking time, to set up a search pattern by hand.

Only problem, was... in their haste, in setting it up... that dual laddered search pattern, was BIIIIGGG... in its spacing, & would often, if near an island, or a main land area... of having a leg (or 2 legs... sometimes... ) of it, trying to run you across land.

Another issue with, using that ladder pattern, would be... not knowing if it would still keep to going the same but flipped positioning... or if it would decide to double back on itself, but in a flip side set up.

right, up, left, up, right, then the next would end up right, down, left, down, left (or right, up, left, up, right) that was the only downside on that pattern.

That, craziness of how the next pattern would be positioned... or should I say, the... uncertainty of, how it'd be laid down.

M. M.