View Single Post
Old 05-24-15, 05:42 AM   #1809
adrians69
Engineer

Downloads: 299
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsue View Post
I also run BMS 4.32. My original copy of F4 had that huge 600 page hardcopy manual with metal ringbinders, with charts, comms book and all kinds of things in the cover sleeves. The day I got it, we were hit with a Tropical Cyclone, so at least I could read the manual while waiting the fortnight or so it took to restore electricity to my area!

I stumbled onto the Silent Hunter series quite by accident. I found SH3 in a bargain bin one day while shopping. During the course of the morning I came across SH4 and later SH5. Rather than go through the hassle of returning the first two, I thought what the hell...under $10 each, not worth the effort so (luckily for me) I took them all home and loaded up SH5.

After updating to v1.2, I decided to check out what info I could find about the game on the net and discovered Subsim! Seeing the Subsim community involvement and spirit, the myriad of mods available and general interest in Silent Hunter, I thought WOW! This has got to be the nautical equivalent of F4!

The work being done by vdr1981, sober and Sjizzle et al. with their megamods, is similar in aim to that of BMS and F4. That is, to take the best of what is available in mods etc, and amalgamate them into a stable and enjoyable platform for the player. I sincerely hope that they will be rewarded for all their efforts by seeing old and new players and modders returning to the fold and restoring that heady momentum that SH5 enjoyed prior to the infamous tonnage bar bug.
I have the original big box version of Falcon also and it's complete, along with the Prima Official Guide. I got it from my wife for a birthday present back in 1999 just after it was released in Dec 98. You can easily pay £30 just for the disc in its plastic case on eBay!!

I play SH4 & 5 now and used to have 2 & 3 also. I must say I was disappointed with 5 initially, but now with the mega mod it's much better.

Click here to view my MS Flight Simulator X, Silent Hunter, Space Shuttle Mission Simulator, X Plane 11 & Train Simulator 2020 screenshots!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrians69/
adrians69 is offline   Reply With Quote