View Single Post
Old 08-03-22, 03:27 AM   #5
Hooston
Soundman

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

SH3 was always a heavy load, not really laptop material. I was given the original DVD back in 2005, but it was not until 2018 that I had a machine that would run it properly!

I had two modern i7 laptops with Nvidia graphics built in and they ran everything fine. However they both only delivered a fraction of the expected performance, simply because the priority for the manufacturers was a thin case and a quiet fan. The machines thermally throttled after just a few seconds of gaming. The first one from HP caught fire because I used it balanced on my bare leg, thus blocking some of the coolant holes, and the voltage regulator chips fried. So if you must have a laptop look for a big case and a noisy fan!

Currently I'm using a 2011 i3 laptop with intel integrated graphics HD3000. This runs vanilla SHIII OK at the original resolution but at higher resolutions goes down to around 5fps with the conning tower view in port or in the middle of a convoy. Other views are much better, so still just about playable as long as environmental mods not enabled.
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote