View Single Post
Old 05-29-20, 01:07 PM   #5
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0

Welcome aboard, Kaleun!
Along the lines of the previous posts,
  • The red rectangles are CINCPAC estimated positions tagged with a time of the posting and the target's estimated speed (slow, medium, fast) and direction shown by the "tail" of the symbol indicating the vessel's wake.
  • Since the locations are estimated, the sonar bearing line will not appear until the target is in sonar range, ~10ish miles and they will be visible around 3ish miles.
  • If you place your boat along the target's plotted course line, you MAY be able to intercept it. I estimate the target's likely intercept point on the anticipated course line by
    • Noting the time since the observation was posted and figuring a 10 knot speed to estimate where the target is now. (10 kt makes the math easy - 1.5 hours = 150 miles. I add a few miles' fudge factor for a "fast" target)
    • I estimate my time enroute to the intercept point and calculate the target's probable progress in that time. When I arrive in the vicinity, I position the boat ~10ish miles "downstream" of that location and wait... and wait... and wait...
    • My experience has been that IF the target actually appears, it is often at some distance from the planned intercept location.
Good hunting!!
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote