View Single Post
Old 05-08-22, 07:01 PM   #549
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

5-8 January 1943

We've been getting through turns slowly and the turns themselves haven't involved much going on. So, quick summary:

• Babar has finally fallen. That last group of troops from the 14th Division that started coming ashore made the difference.
  • The KB is still hanging out in the Babar area
  • I'm reluctant to make my move on the Shortlands with the KB still at Babar. I certainly can't make a move on Java.
  • The Wake operation got a little spooky with carriers potentially being detached from the KB. I pulled most of the ships out before I got aircraft mechanics ashore. I've since moved back, I'm getting the base force (with mechanics) ashore, and they're supporting a Catalina squadron and a few Wildcat recon variants (with drop tanks, they were able to make the flight from the nearby CVE, the F4F-3s on the CVE couldn't use drop tanks, so they'll probably arrive 9 January. Enemy Betties from the Marshalls have been harassing the transports without success (flying at extended range with bombs instead of torpedoes).
  • Once Wake is fully secure, I'll start taking a look at the Marianas or the Marshalls. On second thought, I'll make another attempt on Canton, and Baker along with it. Those are just annoying me.
  • 8 January was a good day for us in submarine warfare. After a long dry period, the Snook got a cargo ship off Okinawa, we took out a midget sub attacking a bombardment group hitting Guadalcanal, and we traded a coastal patrol craft for a B1-class sub near Colombo.