View Single Post
Old 09-09-11, 11:46 AM   #29
Osmium Steele
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

I've located a wonderful resource. German Warships 1815 - 1945 Volume Two by Erich Groner shows the limber hole patterns for every batch of u-boat. for Type VIIs, it shows the openings beginning aft of the diagonal row at the bow, under the deck gun (if any), and under the tower.

As a result of the info in this book, I only need to fill these two slots at the bow:

I filled the holes I had drilled earlier. I can find no evidence of any intakes/discharges in these areas, with the exception of the Stbd side of U-995. I can find no technical drawings or schematics showing hull stops in this area. All discharges/intakes on the drawings are connected to one tank or another, or lead directly under the exterior decking.

Note the bulge at the top. In later boats with the turm IV, this bulge allows a tad more room to get around the wintergarden 20mm guns.

Unfortunately, pics of u295 do not show this bulge, and the book referenced above lists 4 slots in this area. All later batches have 0 or 1 slot here.

Eliminating the bulge. The deck will also have to be altered here, if I end up using the original deck.

Will glue some resin and fill this area over the weekend. The plan is also to correct the layout of small slots beneath the tower, open up the long slot over the saddle tanks, and begin framing. Once that is done. A final decision on how to represent the pressure hull is in order.

Until next time...

My U297 build thread

Last edited by Osmium Steele; 09-09-11 at 12:05 PM.
Osmium Steele is offline   Reply With Quote