View Single Post
Old 11-02-21, 11:44 AM   #5998
pikke
Sparky

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default U48 - Type VIIb - 1st patrol - part 1

December 7, 1939 Kiel
0703 I've been transferred to U-flottilla Weddigen.
I'm now in command of U48, a type VIIb uboat based in Kiel.
The official reason for my transfer is they needed someone with more experience here...noone believed it, really.
The real reason is probably me sharing my unwanted opinion about some son of an important political figure being enrolled in our flotilla but never having to sail once.
(The real real reason is me installing SH3 commander and messing things up )

Anyway, here I'm.
A new ship, new crew, same old war.
Our assigned patrol area is grid AN82.
Off we go.

December 14, 1939 AN82
1406 Just reached our assigned patrol area.
Performed some drills on the way here to get to know the boat and the crew.
Weather was quite good for the most part but in the last few hours got cloudy and a bit wind.
Time to dive.

1632 Sound contact! Merchant, east of our position, long range closing slowly. Hopefully our first prey.

1702 Ship spotted! It's a small cargo vessel going 6 knots. Sea conditions are not good enough for a deck gun attack. Changing course to run a 90° submerged attack.

1723 Torpedo impact! Small fire visible on the target bow, let's wait and see.

1909 She is going down! Took a while, but at least one eel was enough. Resuming previous course.

December 15, 1939 AN82
1426 Patrol completed. One ship sunk. U48 is now moving SW. It's raining a lot and visibility is really poor.

1952 Ship spotted at very close range! Just in front of us a merchant is emerging from the fog less than a km away!

1953 A British passenger cargo, not much time to properly establish course and speed but we are so close it should not matter. Fire and...dive!

1953 They spotted us and begun turning just a couple of seconds before our eel struck her almost amidship. Big fire. U48 is now at periscope depth and turning as fast as she can to go on a parallel course.

2033 Target is sinking. We got lucky, were that cargo a few hundred meters off we would have not seen it, were it closer we would have had a collision.
Resuming previous course, will leave the area submerged, were any warship sent to this area we could not spot it with this weather.
pikke is offline   Reply With Quote